Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Quads / ATV

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As I've been researching atv's more and more, on a few atv forums, I've heard alot about polaris's being in the shop? CC, I think you got a good one. I was going to look at polaris, but all the shop commets are steering me away? That would be the worst thing ever........taking a brand new $8000+ atv into the shop for repairs.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    One of the reasons I went with Polaris is that I volunteer in our local state park (Lone Mesa). I spend several days a week in the summer there and do a lot of work on fences, brush clearing and doing what is called Arbor Glyph research. The park was a 15,000+ acre cattle ranch that the state bought. (it is open to limited elk & deer hunting) The state has Polaris machinary exclusively. They get the crap beat out of them and seem to last pretty good. The one thing you have to watch out for is remembering to down shift to a lower gear instead of lugging them down, as the drive belt burns up. Overall I'm happy with mine.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm SURE they're all not bad, they just got more negative comments than others.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey CC, the more I've been looking into the sportsmans, I think that's what I'm going to go with now. I like how the 4 wheel drive works vs the other makes. I think I can do with out the EPS and save about a grand. The 550 is probly what I'm leaning towards.I thought the 550 was the XP but it dosn't say that. Trying to figure out why the 550 coasts more than the 800?
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 12-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    The one thing you have to watch out for is remembering to down shift to a lower gear instead of lugging them down, as the drive belt burns up. Overall I'm happy with mine.
    What do you mean down shift when the tranny is auto? the new ones have a really good "down hill desent"
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    What do you mean down shift when the tranny is auto? the new ones have a really good "down hill desent"
    My Polaris has a low and drive. It also has the automatic downhill and "slow down" braking feature. What I was talking about is when the unit is loaded up (like with me and an elk on the back!) and you have to climb a hill, downshift to Low so you don't start lugging everything and buildup a bunch of heat.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey CC, the more I've been looking into the sportsmans, I think that's what I'm going to go with now. I like how the 4 wheel drive works vs the other makes. I think I can do with out the EPS and save about a grand. The 550 is probly what I'm leaning towards.I thought the 550 was the XP but it dosn't say that. Trying to figure out why the 550 coasts more than the 800?
    You already know how I feel. Go Polaris. I beat the hell out of my 2004 Sportsman 700 for 5 yrs. in 4 states and never a problem. A friend bought the exact same and went everywhere with me and his never had a problem either. I rolled it down a mtn. in Wy. 2008 and totaled it. I bought a 2009 Polaris Razor side by side. Not a problem with it yet either. They will all do the same thing. I wouldn't factor cost into the reason I would buy one. It's how they are made an last. I think Can Am's are great too and would be me 1st or
    2nd choice as far as quads, not side by sides. I've driven a friend's Can Am 800 Outlander. I liked it a lot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't know about the price of the 800 as I've only really looked at the 550 for my wife. She sure don't need anything any bigger. The 550 has power steering, that the reason she wants it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This subject has gone on long enough that Artic Cat may have caught and passed every other brand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    This subject has gone on long enough that Artic Cat may have caught and passed every other brand.
    I'm already having a hard enough time trying to choose between yamaha and polaris! I do like the artic cats too. I take it you have one, which one?
    -NRA Life Member