Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unit 17 elk

Thanks

unit 17 elk

Hey guys, has anyone hunted unit 17 for bull? Have 2 muzzleloader tags down there in Oct. and am not too familiar with the area. Hunted deer there about 8 years ago so don't remember much. Any info will help, thanks!

Thanks
    Great unit! I have hunted turkeys in there for years. I have seen a couple 340 bulls and a 370 bull one time! I did my eagle project down there last summer. The main downside about this unit is that wherever there is a road, there are tons of people on ATV's and trucks. If you can get a way from the pressue it is a great unit for deer, I have seen some 170 class bucks in there before.

Thanks
    The key is to get a topo and find a secluded area in the unit that has water. Find the place where no one else will be and thats where the elk are, belive me there are some giant bulls in there!

Thanks
    thanks D for the info. What part of the unit do you know?

Thanks
    Hey jay, I have hunted that unit the past two years. Great unit lots of good bulls. I didn't draw this year but will be buying a landowner tag. Ive only hunted archery but am looking for a muzzle tag this year. What season 1st or 2nd muzzle tag did you draw? Send me a pm and I will give you some info on that unit.

Thanks
    thanks KAC, sent you a pm.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rm_0908_02a.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	3334

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/1...ng_rm_0908_02/

I believe that is a unit 17 bull. State Record, 441".

Thanks
    If i was you, I would go high because that is where all the elk are. There are some really rough roads that are great for glassing like the road near lookout peak. There is some great roadless terrain near lookout peak that has some great bulls, you have to hike and burn some bootleather but its worth it! There is also some great country near the fire watch tower as well. If you keep going on that road, it gets rough but there are a few places big enough to pull off so you can get out and hike. 17 can be pretty steep but that is why bulls get really old in there.

Thanks
    Thanks for the motivation DN!!! That bull is a pig isn't he...I'll look into those areas DHB, do you know which state rd you take to access these areas you mention? There are a few...

Thanks
    Hello all. I am new to the Eastmans forums but have been a subscriber for the last five years. Why it took me so long to get on board hear I am not sure. Really like what I see here.
    I really appreciate all the sound words of advice I have read above on elk in 17. My wife also drew the second muzz tag, and knowing little about the area as of yet (much scouting to soon come) I found the above info very helpful. We have hunted archery hunted in 34 and 13 a few times, but are now going to "broaden our horizons" and are very excited about the opportunity to do so here. If anyone else has some words of advice such would be greatly appreciated. Don't think I expect an X on a map. I plan on doing alot of scouting on my own, but any intel on the unit anyone is willing to share would be helpful in narrowing down or directing and refining the scope of my research.
    Thanks