Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Partner

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    My hunting partners are a lot like me, so that works in most ways, but it also leads to some conflict (nothing serious of course) sometimes ... we have ended up being more like brothers than friends. It is good knowing that you can depend on those guys.

You really know who your friends are about 4 miles into a backpack pack-out where your partners are hauling your meat on their backs, and they say how awesome the trip was.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska Outlander View Post
    Few weeks ago I went on a hunt/scouting trip up north with a friend from church. We had a great time scouting and trying to find turkeys however I am not sure I would like to go with him again. Just don't feel he is a good fit for me.

My question is for you guys who have life long hunting partners how did you get there?? I have been thinking about a hunting partner application, jk, but seriously its hard to find a partner that works well with your style. I had a hunting partner that taught me a lot we hunted a lot and things were great. Only problem was he had a short temper and I couldn't deal with that getting to old for that kind of stuff.

Either way figured I would try and start a thread where people could help us who are looking for a partner find the right one.

Nebraska Outlander
    I agree with what Bitterroot said about it being a trial and error process. IMHO, I think that another individuals temperament and to some degree their age and maturity plays more into the equation than style of hunting.I feel that hunting with a partner is always going to be a relationship of give and take. I have also found that the best experiences are those when everyone is more selfless than selfish and are committed to each others success as much as they are to their own. Unfortunately, it seem to be increasingly difficult nowadays finding another person to hunt with due to a lot of people having limited time frames or vacations, greater personal resposibilities and the ever increasing costs of hunting. I also feel to a certain degree that the focus seems to be shifting (more especially for younger people) to a "I have to hurry up and go get my________ and be back to work by Monday" trip.
    I've hunted alone most of my life because I didn't want to punch someone elses timeclock afield, them sometimes having to be somewhere by a certain time to remain in the good graces of whatever it was. Having said that, I started hunting once in a while with my son-in law a couple of years ago after having a minor stroke (which I have mostly recovered from)and my wife being concerned about the prospect of my not returning one day. He is relatively new to hunting, having hunted just the last few years and has limited time and resources due to his work schedule and family commitments raising our grandkids. It's been a little bumpy here and there on a couple of trips, adapting to each other personalitites and temperaments, but I'm patient and mostly so is he.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unfortunately two of my closest huntin buddys moved out of state a few years back,I have been hunting by my self most of the time and don't mind it at all. But when going out-of-state it's nice to have someone to BS with on the road trip, and help pay for gas etc. but another buddy I hang out with had a friend that use to always go hunting by him self, after hangin out with him a few times we went on a couple hunting trips....Ever since then he's the only one that is as sirius about hunting as I am, he puts in for all the states that I do and he's always wanting to go scouting year round to ensure a great upcoming season.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    My hunting partners are a lot like me, so that works in most ways, but it also leads to some conflict (nothing serious of course) sometimes ... we have ended up being more like brothers than friends. It is good knowing that you can depend on those guys.

You really know who your friends are about 4 miles into a backpack pack-out where your partners are hauling your meat on their backs, and they say how awesome the trip was.
    I hear that. Both my hunting partners helped me pack my elk down 4000 ft to the truck in the dark at -10 it took 7 hrs. Now that's friendship. I did return the favor for one of them and will for the other when the time comes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd feel like I was missing something if I wasn't half dead from getting the meat out myself every hunt.

Maybe that's something I should miss? Hmmm......
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 05-06-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 3 Posts
    Last edited by bigshot; 05-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 3 Posts
    Do what I did and go back east, find a country girl who loves hunting and is dying to move out west. My wife a great hunting partner, her only fault is she does not like going on trips that last for more than one week at a time. So for the long out of state trips I'm fortunate to have multiple close friends in several states that I enjoy hunting with. My buddies are, "Brother," like. I met most of my close buddies during my hound hunting years. Either by selling or buying a dog from them. Some were my clients when I was a bear guide and we got along so well we became close friends.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started huning with my Dad when I was three years old {I was supost to be a boy the Docs got it wrong but he did get my brother 10 years later} and we did alot of hard hunting for years and if it was 22 miles in that where you would find us but in 2001 he had his first stroke and since then he has had three more strokes and at least 100 TIAs {mini strokes}so now he is having a great day if he can walk 50 yards {count your blessing if you still have your health} so this last season I finley got him to get the disibility permit that allows you shoot from my car so he could hunt {and I have to say Dad did it kicking and screaming like a little kid}as he stated he would never hunt this way but I got tired of seeing the longing look he'd have in his eyes ever time I headed out the door.So I asked him to do it for me so we could hunt somemore. He ended up taking a 160 class white-tail buck 45 yards from the road but the buck ran 75 yards before dropping.Dad couldn't walk to see him so my brother and I carryed the buck whole to him from the photo op as we think it may have been his last buck{hope I'm wrong}.I have to amite that he did ask if I would take him hunting again even with me doing all the work all I could do was look at him and smile and said as long he could hold a rifle Id take him.
    Hunting partners are hard to come by for me as I like to hit the backcountry {15 miles in with camp on my back} but with that being said I have one right now who will drop everything just to hunt with me and if it's his or my game that hits the ground it don't matter how far it is to the car we get the job done. All I can say is I love my brother for being willing to "go the extra mile" with me Now all I need is to find a Boyfriend like my brother.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess I am pretty lucky me and my brother have been hunting for years together and I would not have it any other way!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mthuntress View Post
    I started huning with my Dad when I was three years old {I was supost to be a boy the Docs got it wrong but he did get my brother 10 years later} and we did alot of hard hunting for years and if it was 22 miles in that where you would find us but in 2001 he had his first stroke and since then he has had three more strokes and at least 100 TIAs {mini strokes}so now he is having a great day if he can walk 50 yards {count your blessing if you still have your health} so this last season I finley got him to get the disibility permit that allows you shoot from my car so he could hunt {and I have to say Dad did it kicking and screaming like a little kid}as he stated he would never hunt this way but I got tired of seeing the longing look he'd have in his eyes ever time I headed out the door.So I asked him to do it for me so we could hunt somemore. He ended up taking a 160 class white-tail buck 45 yards from the road but the buck ran 75 yards before dropping.Dad couldn't walk to see him so my brother and I carryed the buck whole to him from the photo op as we think it may have been his last buck{hope I'm wrong}.I have to amite that he did ask if I would take him hunting again even with me doing all the work all I could do was look at him and smile and said as long he could hold a rifle Id take him.
    Hunting partners are hard to come by for me as I like to hit the backcountry {15 miles in with camp on my back} but with that being said I have one right now who will drop everything just to hunt with me and if it's his or my game that hits the ground it don't matter how far it is to the car we get the job done. All I can say is I love my brother for being willing to "go the extra mile" with me Now all I need is to find a Boyfriend like my brother.
    Sorry to hear about your Dad's health mthuntress. Your right about counting ones blessings if you still have your health. Life seems to go by pretty fast at times. Sounds like you have some good memories hunting with your dad and brother. I have similar memories from three years on being in the outdoors with my dad and I miss him as he passed away several years ago.

I've been working on my wife slowly to see if I one day can get her into hunting. Perhaps that would make for a good new thread? "How to get your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend into hunting." My wife puts up a lot with my hunting obsessions and does go backpacking, camping and hiking often with me. She is a awesome wife in every way but it would be so cool if she shared that same hunting obsession too. Some guys or gals perhaps want a break from their better half when they go hunting, but not me. I hope you will find that boyfriend like your brother mthuntress that will go the extra mile and be a good hunting partner too.