Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Partner

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hunted with my dad or a couple friends when I was younger. Since I started hunting in Wyoming, it's my nephew & me or me solo like this elk season will be. I learned a long time ago there is only 3 people I can count on, ME,MYSELF & I.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Posted a few days ago about how hard it can be to find someone to hunt with. Picked up my trail camera pictures yesterday and after showing people I seem to have a lot of people wanting to go out with me this year. No seriously,like five offers in two days.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MFDC0159.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	6177
    Last edited by clacklin009; 08-03-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The guy I hunt with grew up a mile away, we have been hunting and fishing together since grade school. We know each other really well and work well together. The only drawback I see is that I am more driven to hunt hard than him, he sometimes gets discouraged when weather or game doesn't cooperate and we are putting in lots of effort not seeing much. Still wouldn't trade him in, I just let him do his thing and go it alone when he gets that way. He is color blind so he needs help on blood trails at times, and I seem to spot more game because I can tell greens from orange or brown. Especially when deer have their summer coats it makes a big difference.

If I was looking for someone I'd try to find someone willing to put in time going over topos, calling landowners or game wardens, etc. Someone who will put in the time and effort on the pre-hunt research is likely to be serious about hunting when you arrive. Make sure they will pull their own weight in both time and money invested on things you will both use like fuel and shelter. I like people who feel like it is a group success when our plan comes together and one of us fills a tag, not jealous. I take pride in being part of outsmarting a wise old buck or bull no matter which of us pulls the trigger.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Should have added that we flip a coin before each hunt to see who gets first shot when we are hunting together. It keeps us cooperating, not competing. When we split up it's every man for himself, but when together we follow that rule. We used to rush to beat the other one to the shot and both screw it up as kids, this makes for a better partnership.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    Posted a few days ago about how hard it can be to find someone to hunt with. Picked up my trail camera pictures yesterday and after showing people I seem to have a lot of people wanting to go out with me this year. No seriously,like five offers in two days.Click image for larger version. 

Well, heck yes, I am tempted to offer to as well. That is a beautiful bull, I hope you put a tag on him!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Engideer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    Should have added that we flip a coin before each hunt to see who gets first shot when we are hunting together. It keeps us cooperating, not competing. When we split up it's every man for himself, but when together we follow that rule. We used to rush to beat the other one to the shot and both screw it up as kids, this makes for a better partnership.
    Hey MC,
    I wish we'd of been smart enough to flip a coin when we were younger. I've been with so called friends that rush to shoot what you spotted.
    Selfish is one word to describe it...
    Hope all has been well with you.

Thanks
    Congratulations

You know what would be funny and a good way to find out who a good hunting partner might be? Tell the people that have seen it was a picture you downloaded from the internet and it was a joke. Then a couple of days/weeks later go and ask if any of them still want to hunt with you even though you haven't seen anything yet.

Dewey

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dewey, I think that could work, wish it didn't have to work like that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dewey, I think that could work, wish it didn't have to work like that.
    If you're feeling really cynical, you could show potential hunting partners the picture, give them coordinates to a location that is obviously false when they get there, then a) see who doesn't show up to hunt with you and b) see who has the balls to come back and gripe at you for giving them the wrong location.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's so much easier to just hunt alone. None of these problems crop up. Come and go as you please.