Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glassing for mule deer for the newbie: what's your preferred method?

I am brand new to even scouting for mule deer and hold a Nevada buck tag for the early rifle season. I'm excited and concerned at the same time: excited that I have the chance, but concerned that I lack the experience. I have only ever hunted whitetails and it doesn't take a scientist to figure out that it's a completely different ballgame in totally different terrain. That said, ya gotta start somewhere. Time to start scouting.

What is your technique for breaking down the mountains and finding moving or bedded game? Where do you usually look first thing in the morning, midday, and at dusk?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 05-30-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 65 Times in 8 Posts
    Morning and dusk will always be your best bet. Check out David Longs book on Phase glassing. Also Mikes book on High Country Mule Deer. Both of these books will give you as a beginner a ton of great info. Good luck.

Welcome to the Forum

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Ditto what ikic said, from personal experience, I find the first half hour you can see anything and the last half hour, are the best, during the day, use a system to glassing, whether it be starting at the top and working down left to right or whatever it is, do it the same every time. Memorize the mountain you are glassing, that stick you might have saw earlier might have moved and turned out to be an antler. After you get done with your system that you covered the whole mountain, repeat, then repeat. Your binos and spotter are your best friends. I tend to find more deer in the shade, it doesn't matter how cold it is or time of day, I think they love shade. IMO. And most of all, prepare to be humbled. You will be humbled by the terrain and deer as well as mother nature. You will look at a mountain for 3 days thinking you have seen every square inch, then when you step foot where you have been glassing and everything is different, or you will be glassing a flat thinking it is flat until you walk across it and there are revines you have to find a another way around or those small hills that hide a ton of country and all of this time, you were thinking it was "flat". Nevadans saying on weather is if you don't like it, wait 15 minutes, it'll change. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Nevadans saying on weather is if you don't like it, wait 15 minutes, it'll change.
    I thought that was Montana's saying!
    I recognized long ago that if I have a warehouse full of guns, but no public land or public wildlife, I have nothing!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    A little more on what Dr said about changing your location while glassing. When you have covered the same area at least twice move. Relocate yourself 100 yards one way or the other and glass it again. And SLOW DOWN if you think in your head your glassing slow your not, glass slower. So many guys will look over a hill side from top to bottom and move to the next one and miss a lot. How will you be able to pick out a stick behind a bush and then realize its a horn if you glass to fast cause you didn't see anything so it must not be there. One thing I do is I look at every bush or tree in the area I'm glassing. Look at it too. When your glassing through the sage and you have a bush or tree come into view stop moving your glass and actually look at the tree. You will be amazed at what you will find by doing this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ceby7 View Post
    I thought that was Montana's saying!
    I think your rite about that. It's wait 5 min in Nv.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good stuff, guys. I'm paying a lot of attention here and am about to buy a bino mount for my tripod. I've got a nice set of 10.5x Nikon Monarch X binos that wil be up to the task of morning/dusk glassing. Now, I just have to apply the techniques you guys have put up. I'll let you know what comes of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    With my exp.,I seem to always find deer bedded in the shade too. But I've seen plenty of videos with them bedded in the sun as well?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Six-Gun, you are getting some very good and valuable advice for western hunting. From my own personal experience hunting the west for 40 + years is when i'm scouting a new area " which you will be ", i personally prefer the run & gun method untill i find the game and then i will slow way down and pick it apart. It's very important to keep in mind that not all areas will hold deer. You only have so many hours of prime time early and late so make the most of it. The other thing that frustrates the new guys or young hunters is the ability to accually see the deer, unless the deer is standing in the wide open with a contrasting background you are most likely going to be looking for deer parts and pieces. After a while and after spotting a few deer your eyes will start to "notice" things that don't belong or just don't fit...........That's when it gets really fun.

Best of luck......You'll have a ball !!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    What are you flying Six-Gun? I work in aerospace defense and your avatar peeks my interest.