Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    I think BB is right on there. Though I haven't read the book, David Long lives to hunt high country mule deer. Good referral.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    When I think high country, I think above the timberline. Usually not a lot of water there and lots of rocky slopes, very similiar to sheep areas. My experience is that the deer like to stay just above the tree line, especially near green areas. Green means water and some brouse. The trees also give them an escape area for more cover. During the summer, the higher up they go means cooler temps and fewer insects to bother them. Look in shady draws during the heat of the day. If you can do some scouting, do it with your spotting scope, look for well used game trails and available water and green areas on the rocky slopes. Above all be patient. Unless you can see a buck bedded down or feeding, he will probably see you before you can see him!

My favorite areas to hunt these critters is above the timberline. I have a couple of areas in California's High Sierras that I have killed some real nice bucks above the trees. Look at my albums for a few. Most were shot above 9,000'.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    While I have and enjoy Mike Eastman's Hunting High Country Mule Deer, the best reference for this type of hunting, IMO, is David Long's Public Land Mulies: The Bottom Line.
    I have both books. Both writers have some good information on this type of hunting, photo examples, and experiences. +1 for me on getting both books.

Both books have some sound advice. I like the parts in the books with picture references, similar to what Bitterroot Bulls posted noting routes they took and such. Pointing out things in the picture is most helpful as a teaching aid. A "picture is worth a thousand words" for me hold true.

Taking some time and going through some of the threads and posts on the forum could be most helpful too. There are advancements in equipment and technology that can be most helpful that the books have a hard time keeping up with depending on the edition. There's nothing wrong with the old but some of the new bring some more possible options to the table.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    well put Kevin...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 1 Post
    Your high country Muleys will typically end up in the basins they will summer in by the end of July, making scouting a key component of your success. Remember that 95% or the deer will use only 5% of the country, so some basins that look great may not carry. The snowpack this year is WELL below average, so the bucks are already transitioning and will be above 9-10k already.

If you are hunting true above timberline, you will most likely be hunting above 12,500 ft. where they bed in the cliffs or right below them in krumholtz patches aka (stunted pines above timber) You will want to focus on scouting first light to locate the bachelor groups before they bed up for the day. This will enable you to focus on key feeding and movement times to concentrate your efforts. Even thought the deer will bed out in the open, they are much tougher to locate once they bed, so that is why it is key to find them feeding in the graylight.

The deer will develop a routine that they will follow almost every day without fail even after they get bumped, they will most likely come back once or twice even if you do blow them out... Very much so creatures of habit unless they get too much pressure. There are usually a lot of hikers but the deer bed and feed fairly far away from human activity... If you have a trail going up into a basin through the bottom, the deer will most likely be bedded 1/2 mile away, high up on the ribbon cliffed basin walls above the trail anyway, so hikers rarely have any impact on the deer anyway... Hope this helps!
    "This is A Way of Life"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Graylight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have any experience hunting high country mule deer but have read David Long's public land mulies and thought that it was an awesome book. I learned a tremendous amount of info and highlighted that book to death. Someday when I actually go on a hunt, ill be reading that book again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 2 Posts
    If you get a chance to go scouting check as many basins as possible over a 4 or 5 day scouting trip. I am not saying that you should half-ass glass them but your first scouting trip should be about locating deer and learning the country. It is always good to have a back up buck and basin to hunt. I also would buy and read both books. I re-read both books the beginning of August just to reinforce things learned from past seasons plus I love reading about hunting timberline mulies. Good luck this season.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    one more question. Do you guys find that the deer avoid bighorn sheep or use the same basins. The area im hunting will have sheep hunters during the month of august but just a few i believe.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 1 Post
    The Sheep often use the same basins as the deer... You won't see them avoiding eachother at all...
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    There is an old saying...

"If you want to kill a big mulie, go sheep hunting."