Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Making multiple trips to haul a kill back

Something I've been thinking about but been forgetting to post.

If I kill a buck, I'm most likely going to have to make a couple of trips to get it and my gear back. It will be October and at 10,000+ feet , so I'm not so worried about the temperature, etc.

I'll obviously have to hang any meat I can't take on the first trip.

But I will also have to leave my camp - tent, sleeping bag, pad, food, etc - behind.

I'll try and stash everything as best I can, but anybody have any ideas on that?

The other question is the head with the rack and tag (I'm going to have my first one mounted, so I'll have the head, cape, etc). I definitely don't want to leave it back with my gear unattended, I don't want to leave it sitting in the bed of my truck and if I run into DF&G and the second trip with any meat, I'll need it.

There's a pack horse operation at the trail head, if they're there, I may see if I can leave it with them, but I don't know if they're going to be open then (probably weather dependent).

The only thing I can think of is to carry it the whole time, but again, any ideas I might have missed?
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sounds like your hunting in compton!! Gear & head stay on first trip beside the gun, take that on the first trip. Get everything on ice, im assuming you'll have a couple coolers at the truck with dry ice/ wet ice mix. Come back for gear, head, hide on second trip. If you bump into df&g and they want to harass you on your pack out tell them to grab their packs and help a brotha out!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Sounds like your hunting in compton!! Gear & head stay on first trip beside the gun, take that on the first trip. Get everything on ice, im assuming you'll have a couple coolers at the truck with dry ice/ wet ice mix. Come back for gear, head, hide on second trip. If you bump into df&g and they want to harass you on your pack out tell them to grab their packs and help a brotha out!
    Solid advise. Good luck.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Sounds like a plan, thanks. The main reason I'm worried is because I will be right by the Pacific Crest Trail and the trailhead is one of the routes into Mt Whitney, so they both see a good bit of traffic.

As far as we are from Compton, I'd like to think that I wouldn't have to worry, but we get a lot of people up from the L.A. area, so I wouldn't leave out anything that's not nailed down.

Gun is never more than arms-length away, no exceptions there.

Our chest freezer bit the dust this summer, so instead of junking it, it has a new life as an 7 cubic foot cooler. I'm going to have to add some locks to bear-proof it.

Thanks again.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    Sounds like a plan, thanks. The main reason I'm worried is because I will be right by the Pacific Crest Trail and the trailhead is one of the routes into Mt Whitney, so they both see a good bit of traffic.

As far as we are from Compton, I'd like to think that I wouldn't have to worry, but we get a lot of people up from the L.A. area, so I wouldn't leave out anything that's not nailed down.

Gun is never more than arms-length away, no exceptions there.

Our chest freezer bit the dust this summer, so instead of junking it, it has a new life as an 7 cubic foot cooler. I'm going to have to add some locks to bear-proof it.

Thanks again.
    Thats the ticket! Chest freezer, coolers rock!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have broken down my camp and stashed it in the past but normally I just leave it up. People passing by don't know if your close by and watching it, ready with your gun. Expensive optics go out on the first trip with deer head and cape. Get head and cape to town to a taxidermist then go back for meat, then the camp. fatrascal

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah if its a trophy head you may not have it there when you go back, just be sure u have that meat off the ground and ina cool place.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have packed out more than a few elk but I never have worried much about my camp or the antlers/cape. Not much to my camp, just a small, expensive, one man 4 season tent and some expensive gear inside. Unless you just walked up on it you would never know it was there. Except for the gun, my gear is the last thing on the list to go out. The boned out meat is the first thing out, with the rifle going out with the first load. I carry a .357 in a shoulder holster the remainder of the time. I pack in salt and a saw after the first load out and completely cape the elk and salt the cape, making it a lot easier to pack, hide, or whatever. After the meat is all out I take the cape/antlers. I never have worried about anyone bothering anything when it's 5 miles from the nearest road. Back that far reduces the number of suspects if someone did bother anything, and you will have pictures. Did have a bear unroll the cape once, but no damage was done. Just curious I think. I do take out as much gear as I can with each load if I know I don't need it anymore, keeping in mind that I will be spending each night at my camp. Leave the tag with the antlers, meat in the cooler, or whatever part of the animal it is to be with and I wouldn't expect any problems.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 2 Posts
    I carry para cord with me and stash the head, antlers and cape in a tree about 150 yards from camp. I sometimes leave just my tent up and wrap the rest of my gear in my brown 4 X 6 tarp and tie it to the trunk of a tree near camp with para cord as well. I figure if someone does come up and look at my camp all they will see is an empty tent and move on. I have expensive gear adn try to keep it out of sight out of mind if I am done and packing meat out.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 10 Posts
    I have just always left my camp up until the end of the hunt. I always pack out the meat first gear and horns last. Over twenty years I have never had anything stolen. If packing out on the same trail wouldn't you have to pass them coming and going?