Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    4:30am Weights, treadmill walk/run on inclines 5 days a week mon.-fri.
    6:00pm Road bike or Mountain Bike 20 miles at least 3 days a week Mon., Wed., Fri.

I also pay attention to food intake!!

Thanks
    Great job everyone!

My routine really isn't that complicated, and I don't worry about over-training. I don't count sets or pay attention to gains in the weight room because for me that's not what's important. I don't plan out my week, saying I'll do this exercise this day or I'll work this muscle group that day. It's pretty random which I think is beneficial, considering how P90X is about confusing the body and a lot of people have great success on that program. I only ride my bike 1-2 times per week, but I hit the spin room in the school gym fairly often. Using my heart rate monitor and the spin bike I can get a lot more done strength and cardio wise than being out on the road. On the spin bike I will keep my HR over 180 for 45 minutes while doing intervals up to 220 BPM a number of times in that time frame. This is where most of my fat burning occurs. I applied to be a spin instructor next semester at the school, which I'm pretty sure I'll get. That will be sweet! Not to mention... lots of hot chicks at my school...

In the weight room I refuse to be like all the static, huge upper-bodied, chicken legged guys that hang around in there. Most of my weight exercises involve the entire body which gets the HR up. If you Youtube Lance Armstrong's weight training program, you will see where I got a lot of my lifts from. They aren't made for packing on large amounts muscle, but they add small amounts of muscle at a time while really helping out balance and core strength. And they make me sweat! I like to throw in heavy squats 2-3 times per week when I'm feeling extra strong.

The other day I let one of my professors talk me into taking her PiYo (Pilates-Yoga) class. I went because she's hot... but didn't expect much. I was wrong! It was awesome, as I got a great core workout mixed with some serious stretching and balance work. What this did was teach me the importance of stretching which I never did properly before. I really think flexibility is hugely underestimated. I will now be incorporating a number of the stretching and balance positions I learned in that class to my weekly routine.

As far as supplements go, I take a lot of protein (3 27 gram shakes/day), a big spoonful of Creatine/day, and Muscle Pharm Assault before each workout. Since taking the MP, I have been able to repeat the same workouts 3 days in a row sometimes without feeling over-exerted.

Like a lot of you guys (and Jen) have said, nutrition has probably been the biggest factor in getting in really good shape. I don't know how many calories I eat each day, but it can't be many... even though I feel like I'm always eating. My favorite post-workout dinner right now is steamed veggies with pasta and a little Yoshidas marinade with a chicken breast or steak from something I killed. I'm trying to limit most of my carbs to post-workout when they will be used for recovery. During the day just a ton of water and healthy snacks almost hourly.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigSurArcher For This Useful Post:

ceby7 (05-11-2012), RUTTIN (05-14-2012)

Thanks
    Get up early, hike hard with a 40 lb pack, workout at night consisting of lifting with an emphasis on core and legs. Lots and lots of water.

Thanks
    Going to start, don't lift but do a lot of cardio and a bunch of pushups. I lift at school but not at home. Gonna hike with all my gear for a couple times to get used to it and run a little with my pack. Then I will shoot from weird angles and sit in weird angles so I don't get busted.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    I train CrossFit 4-5 times per week. Not sure if this is an option for a lot of you but these are awesome total body workouts. We incorporate endurance and strength workouts. Anything from burpees, front squats, deadlifts, rope climbs, sled pulls, lots of pull ups and push ups. Every workout is timed and your pushed by the clock as well as other class members. I hurt all the time but am in the best shape of my life. Never really been over weight but have definitely bulked up and feel like I can tackle any hunt even though I didn't get drawn this year. Was really physically and mentally prepared to get after it this year. Oh well maybe next year...if I don't come out and just hunt an over the counter elk unit. Look up the CrossFit workout "Murph". Time yourself and see how you do. Don't try typing in response when your done or even the next day...you may still be shaking and sore. Good luck to all with tags. Guess I will be in shape to climb in a deer stand and hunt eastern whitetails. We all know how good a shape you need to be in to do that. Lol. Go ahead and begin making fun of us flatlanders. But if anyone wants to "run my but in the ground" on one of their high country hunts let me know I would love to see if I can hang.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthoek21 For This Useful Post:

Lazykmcranch (09-05-2013)

Thanks
    the insanity video is just that!! and will have you in mountain shape for sure! one hour a day and you can do it in your living room. and its the hardest workout i have ever done.

Thanks
    Lift,run,hike with pack,scout,run with weighted vest,repeat.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    I'm just about to wrap up the 1st month of the Insanity workout. Its been one hell of a workout. I'm looking forward to starting the 2nd month. Once I finish that then I'll either try the next Insanity program (Asylum) and add weight lifting once again. If I was working at my old job I wouldn't have to worry since it mostly consisted of daily hikes at about 8500 feet.

Thanks
    I lift weights and do cardio (treadmill set on incline) three times a week, Hike on the weekends and as has been stated clean eating. My workouts focus on a lot of heavy leg exercises like squats, deadlifts, and cleans. I run on the treadmill the same day as a lowerbody weights day but, never the day after. I am also a roofer at the moment , so I get lots of exercise at work, some days it's hard to go to the gym and give it everything after I've been on a hot, steep roof all day, but what better training for the mountains is there? Good luck everyone, keep at it.

Thanks
    I do the 12oz curl and every now and then the 24ozDon't lift weights because thoughs things are heavy

Now, I work in the construction feild so I get a work out everyday at work, I would hit the gym but after a long day on the job site there's no time or energy left, when season rolls around, I havn't had any trouble hikeing up mountains and dragging deer out. I probley could eat a little more heathy, but untill I really start packing on the pounds, I'll worry about it then.
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 06-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club