Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For the past few months, I’ve been concentrating pretty much solely on my legs, as I feel fairly confident in my upper body strength. I have been running about 3 miles every other day, and on the days I don’t run, I do squats and lunges. A buddy and I loaded our packs today, and climbed the best hills we have here.. I’m almost amazed at how many more muscles I feel working getting out and stomping around with the pack on versus everything else I’ve been doing.

Of course, it might have been the 98 degree heat. 52 days until elk season, I fear I may not be ready.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ordered widerness ath 28 day challange today. hopefully it will give me a boost to my workouts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    4-5 miles every morning on the step mill at 85-90 steps a minute. Than my normal weight routine after. Plus shooting every night now that we moved out of the city

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    52 days until elk season, I fear I may not be ready.
    52 days is a looong time. If you put your mind to getting ready right now and you go hard, you will be just fine and glad you put in the work. Go get it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Damn BSA, Im doin' it! Feeling pretty good too. Havent eaten any crap at all. After work, I hit the weights, then I hit the bike. Dont have any supplements, but I might consider them for their benefits. Feeling great at 43, thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've stepped up my workouts too. M/L elk opens Sept 8. Spending 5 am's at the gym (wife goes too) and doing a 4 mile walk evenings. I'm feeling great too........at 70!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok I sort of cheated this year. I am down at this point 108 lb since april 2012... (cheating part is i had stomach surgery) Been running 2 miles every other day to keep my legs in shape. This year my air will be a lot better (can tell when i run) . I am a little worried about my strength but have started the insanity workout for the last couple of weeks. they really like to jump alot in those video's. The good thing can save room in my pack cause i cant eat like i use to..LOL
    Whooooo!!! Knock'em out John

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Crossfit as usual. Knocked out the 100 Day Burpee Challenge about 45 days ago and hiked 25 miles in 28 hours this weekend (Saturday 1 p.m. - Sunday p.m.) with a 46 pound pack (32% of my body weight) to work out any gear kinks in my system. Best shape of my life, but weight loss over the weekend's grueling hike was a wake up call. Sucked down 3800 calories and 4-96 oz. bladders of water and still shed 25 ounces. With a 17 day archery elk in the plans, that's gonna get nasty!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am punishing my cardio, trying to get develop wind at sea level I will need for 7 days at 11,000 feet in Colorado in a month. I have tried several things - here is what works best for me. Interval training seems to work the best for stressing your cardiovascular systema and getting your body used to working while sucking wind. One way to do this is outside on the track - sprint at top speed for 2 mins, then walk or jog for 2 mins - repeat up to 8 intervals. I have found as I have made some good progress getting my wind up, I'm having a hard time pushing myself, so I have moved over to the treadmill. Current regimen - stretch - get on treadmill 7 degree incline at 3.5 mph. After you feel warmed up and loose, do the 2 min interval, running up the incline, start at 6.5 mph, lower mph as you run out of air completely, but do not decrease incline. That running uphill is punishing, it definitely gets me to my maximum. Do 8 2 min intervals, even if by the end you are barely jogging going uphill. If you do the latter one for a couple weeks you will see a noticeable increase in your wind.

I'm also climbing the parking garage next to the hospital near my house, its only 9 stories, but I take double stairs with a 40 lb pack on. I do double stairs to my goal, which I try to increase every time, then when I can't do more of those, I do one rep single stairs, then one last rep with the pack off. You really fly right up when you drop 40 lbs!
    Last edited by Doe Nob; 08-07-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Twentysix days to bear S&S season. Weight down to 185, doing some hard farm work in the heat. Can hardly walk, running is out. Two hip replacements, open heart and an an aneurysm surgery are beginning to limit me some. Carrying a heavey pack is out. I am finding you can get by whithout a bunch of amenities. The more weight I lose the better off I am. Next goal is 180 by bear season. Maybe be to 175 by Mule deer hunt. Getting ready for mule deer season 11/3.