Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Had my annual physical last week and my Dr was pleased. He scheduled a treadmill test as I have never had one. Took it yesterday and passed it too. It really took a lot of effort to get my heart rate up to (and over) 150. Dr was again very pleased. He said I'm in as good shape as most 50 year old he tests....I'm 71! The workout I'm doing are really making a difference.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For working out I do crossfit. I also run a lot and mt. bike. I sign myself up for races throughout the summer to stay motivated. I did a half marathon already and still have another half and a full marathon. I pretty much eat a paleo diet and feel great. I hunt a lot and have a huge garden so in the summer we dont buy much food at all. We also have chickens and pigs for other meat and eggs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got hit by a car riding my bike last summer so I have been training hard to make up for the time off. I lift 4 days a week varying upper body, core, legs. I run between 12 and 15 miles a week on the treadmill and a half marathon every three weeks (outdoors summer, indoor track winter) On top of that I try to shoot 5 or 6 nights a week.

I cut a lot of carbs out of my diet and added a post work out protein shake for recovery. Being mindful of calorie intake and what kinds of food I eat has helped a lot. More salad and steak, less pasta and dairy. For the last year I have been lifting for tone and endurance, not for mass. I have leaned out well this year and gained lots of strength. Kettle bells give a super workout and lots of strength in stabilizing muscles.

Training to be a better bowhunter in the mountains has been a gigantic driving force for me. Since I committed to train for my fall hunts and made it a priority in my life about 14 months ago I dropped 105lbs, gained muscles mass and strength, and feel amazing. September 2012 I could run a half mile on the treadmill at 6mph, gasping, sweating, and be dead after. Last weekend I ran a half marathon at the local track in 1:34 without breaking stride once.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I am slowly getting back to exercising. I had a pretty painful back injury a year ago and fell way behind. I hope the back pain continues to stay moderate and manageable so I can get in shape by summer. P-90x is what I do to get in shape.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hopefully I Will be back on my workout schedule in about 2 more weeks. Tomorrow will be two weeks post op and really starting to feel pretty good. I don't want to start back to early. I have a apt. With the surgeon on the 26 to get the go or no go with the workouts. Cant wait to get back into it again.
    Last edited by 25contender; 02-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Had my annual physical last week and my Dr was pleased. He scheduled a treadmill test as I have never had one. Took it yesterday and passed it too. It really took a lot of effort to get my heart rate up to (and over) 150. Dr was again very pleased. He said I'm in as good shape as most 50 year old he tests....I'm 71! The workout I'm doing are really making a difference.

Thats great CC! My dad turns 70 today, he can barely walk. He has had 3 hip replacements, back & shoulder surgerys and has a fused ankle. It seems I have the same genetics by the MRI of my back, I hope to be more like yourself than my dad @ 70 exercise and diet is going to be a way of life for me wether I like it or not.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I started about 5 weeks ago with the wife doing the pailio diet. I'm down 14lbs as of this morning. I've been sick for three weeks and haven't got on the exercise equipment yet. Brought in the bike, stair stepper and cleared off the tread mill. I really don't like using the equipment. I much prefer to take the dogs out for hikes behind my home in the hills. I like to train in how I hunt.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Since October, 2013 I'm eating better and hitting the gym each day during the work week and not missing a day. Now if I can just make it a lifestyle change this time. I’ve dropped close to 30 pounds now and leaned up quite a bit. I’ve learned in the last month and seen how really important food intake is and what I eat really affects my results during workouts.

I walk briskly and wear a medium weight pack 40 pounds as a workout aid, walking revolving stairs and a 15% treadmill as a warm up to then working out with some weights. My goal is not to get big or run marathons but just to try and make going up hills a strength more than a weakness and also increase my endurance levels.

Lots of good ideas on the thread so far. Thanks to everyone and keep them coming. I want to be doing this backcountry adventure stuff as long as I can.

“Every man dies, not every man really lives.”
    William Wallace
    -Braveheart