Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

Nevada bonus point info (how it works)

So I've heard a variety of ways Nevada uses your bonus points to your advantage and the regs are not really clear, I emailed them and this is the response I received.

I hope this helps anybody confused or interested. Happy applying!

Thank you for contacting us regarding your bonus points.

Here is an example of how it works: In Nevada, we square your bonus points; i.e., if you have three bonus points for a species when you apply, you will receive nine randomly-generated draw numbers for bonus points plus an additional number for the application itself. You would go into the draw with the lowest of the ten numbers that were assigned to you. An individual with no bonus points for the species would go into the draw with only the one draw number assigned for the application.

If you apply as a party; everyone’s bonus points are averaged (total points of all hunters in the party), divided by the number of hunters and rounded to the closest whole number (7.5 rounds to 8 party application points). The party application points are then squared. They will also receive one draw number for the application. They would go into the draw with the lowest of the numbers that were assigned to the party.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Crap now I'm confused! How about just give me a tag every year then I won't have to try to figure it out!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    So basically they will square your points and then add one for this years application so if you had 3 points you would have "10 chances" from those 10 chances the computer assigns a random number to each chance and then uses the lowest number for your application if its low enough you get a tag if not you get another point for next year. And if you are on a party app the points are averaged and given the appropriate "chances" and use the lowest random number for the party app. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the post and update on the Nevada point system. It can be challenging keeping up with the changes. I'm feeling like my brain is overloading and going to explode trying to figure it out at times .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I remember right, you can put down 5 choices of hunts. When your name is drawn, they will look at all 5 choices. I don't think they do a first round, then second round, etc. And I think that you can apply without buying a hunting license but if you want to get the bonus points, you have to purchase the hunting license.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    Hit it on the head you have to buy the license and they will consider all of your choices before moving to the next applicant/party

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The very first year I put in I chose the option not to buy a license and ended up drawing the PIW tag. Since then I have bought the license, built up my points and have yet to draw anything.......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyboots View Post
    So basically they will square your points and then add one for this years application so if you had 3 points you would have "10 chances" from those 10 chances the computer assigns a random number to each chance and then uses the lowest number for your application if its low enough you get a tag if not you get another point for next year. And if you are on a party app the points are averaged and given the appropriate "chances" and use the lowest random number for the party app. Hope this helps
    dustyboots is absolutly correct but I will take it one step further for clarification purposes.

After the application dead line all aplications are processed. Aquired current bonus points (if any as of year end 2011) are squared + 1 bonus point is added for the current year application.

Example: If you currently have 4 bonus points (as of 2011) 4X4= 16+1 for the current year application =17 bonus points OR 17 computer generated random numbers. Your lowest randomly generated number will become your position in the draw process.

For example, the lowest draw position number possible would be 00000, the highest draw position number possible would be 99999. If your lowest randomly generated number happens to be 00500, 499 applications would be fully processed and tags awarded before yours. Once it's your turn the computer starts with your first choice, if no tags are still available then the computer goes to your second choice. This process continues through your five choices until you either draw a tag or get the famous "dear john letter" in which case you get another bonus point for 2013.

Party applications are as stated by dustyboots. The same process still applies.

WOW, like Kevin Root............my head hurts...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So just to be clear. Is it to your advantage to list a harder to draw, higher trophy quality unit as a first choice and then easier to draw units with lower quality on your subsequent choices if your goal is to simply draw a tag? Listing an easier to draw tag as a first choice doesn't help because in this draw system, they draw the hunter first and then go down your whole list of your choices and award you the highest available tag, right?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUcat61 View Post
    So just to be clear. Is it to your advantage to list a harder to draw, higher trophy quality unit as a first choice and then easier to draw units with lower quality on your subsequent choices if your goal is to simply draw a tag? Listing an easier to draw tag as a first choice doesn't help because in this draw system, they draw the hunter first and then go down your whole list of your choices and award you the highest available tag, right?
    Correct! Put your dream unit as first choice and the unit you are willing to draw as last. Putting in the other way only guarantees not drawing your dream unit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post: