Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll tell you a story that probably will never be repeated. In 1957 we had a group of 22 that were hunting in the Bridgeport/Sonora Pass area. It was the last weekend of the late (inland) season and was the end of October. Pretty late when you think about the seasons today. Season was almost 2 months long. We were hunting up the river at Pickle Meadows near where the Marine Base is today. We hunted Friday, Sat & Su and got 21 bucks! Yep 21, with some real bruisers. The deer were migrating and my Dad & I estimated we saw around 400 in one herd moving thru the sage brush 4 to 500 yards away. They looked like ants with 6 or 8 bucks that looked as big as bull elk. My Dad & I each shot a 4 x 4 that were really great deer. The only reason we didn't 22 bucks was one of the group couldn't hit his butt. He missed 4 or 5 bucks. It was pretty awsome, especially for a 16 year old kid who played hooky from school.

I used to backpack into the East Fork of the San Gabriel River above the falls and used to see lots of sheep up there. My Grandfather use to hike in and hunt deer & fish the East Fork back in the 1920's. Things have changed a lot...and not for the better.

Incidentially, my Dad is 94 and still hunts. We are hoping he gets to go to Wyoming for goats with us this year. He lives in Yucaipa and hunts ducks at the Salton Sea regularly.

Those were really the good old days!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-28-2011 at 06:49 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey DR !
    I'll try to figure out how to do it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Colorado Cowboy !
    That was an awesome story/hunt ! I think I would of had a heart attack ! I lived in Redlands right next door to Yuciapa for 21 yrs. From 1970 to 1991. My Dad, brother, aunt and uncle still live there. That's where I grew up hunting the San Bernardino Nat. Forest. I worked in Yuciapa for a few yrs. also. My son and I burned our points on antelope last year in Wy..We both got our bucks and buck deer too. I got a decent loper and deer. Both were his first. My 14th loper buck in Wy. ! Probably over 20 loper does. Filled a loper doe tag and buck deer tag this yr.. Buck was puney. Didn't see many this yr.. Lots of speed goats though ! The place where I shot my Ca.bighorn was South Fork of Whitewater River . San Bernardino Nat. Forest. South of Mt. San Gorgonio. Used to see bighorns in there all the time when hunting deer, long before the ever had a bighorn hunt there. They didn't fear people much back then. I remember getting 33 steps from 4 nice rams once. Two were very large. I know there have been sheep in the San Gabriel Mtns. for a long time. Awhile back disease knocked heck out of them, along with mtn. lions. Suppose that's what the haven't had a hunt there for them yet ???
    Nice talking to you guys !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Don't know if this will work. Tried to attach pic of ram.
    Hey , it worked !
    Screwed up and got a deer mount pic in there too.
    was 2010 Wy. buck anyway...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Horn Plus 047.jpg   DeerMount.jpg  
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 12-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow what bruisers. It looks like the buck on the left in the background is the brother to the one you took a picture of!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just down loaded 3 different pics and was typing in it and whamo ! It dissapeared ! Logged out an back in. Nothing. This site does weired things....The one in the back ground is a big 3x3 (actually 3x4) but from Book Cliffs , Ut.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 Wy. deer.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	2293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 Wy.Antelope.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	2294
    Couldn't get the clear pic of the loper to down load
    These were 2010 Wy.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 12-28-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's a great antelope. Nice and heavy. You have some trophies here! Good job.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks ! They are average. I have a house full of elk,deer and antelopre mounts. I've been divorced for last 16 yrs. ! LOL !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I'll tell you a story that probably will never be repeated. In 1957 we had a group of 22 that were hunting in the Bridgeport/Sonora Pass area. It was the last weekend of the late (inland) season and was the end of October. Pretty late when you think about the seasons today. Season was almost 2 months long. We were hunting up the river at Pickle Meadows near where the Marine Base is today. We hunted Friday, Sat & Su and got 21 bucks! Yep 21, with some real bruisers. The deer were migrating and my Dad & I estimated we saw around 400 in one herd moving thru the sage brush 4 to 500 yards away. They looked like ants with 6 or 8 bucks that looked as big as bull elk. My Dad & I each shot a 4 x 4 that were really great deer. The only reason we didn't 22 bucks was one of the group couldn't hit his butt. He missed 4 or 5 bucks. It was pretty awsome, especially for a 16 year old kid who played hooky from school.
    That was a cool story Colorado Cowboy and that surly was a hunt to remember for you. I've often wondered what it was like to be able to hunt there in those days. I have a friend who was stationed for several years at the Marine base you mention in the 80's. He has told me stories of those big deer herds in the hundreds in the migration as well east of the mountains foothills/flats in the sage. My friend and I both put in for the X12 zone still today. I have fond memories hunting them in the high mountain wilderness in X12 but it is getting harder to pull the zone in the draw. It seems to take 3 years now to draw there when years earlier before the preference point system it was not uncommon to get drawn most every year.

On a side note, I hope you get your wish and get drawn for your Colorado Desert Sheep tag in this coming season in 2012.