Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spring bear baiting

I've been having good success here in Oregon killing big spring bears spot and stalk with my old 30-30 but I recently decided I am going to try and fulfill a long held goal of baiting in a big boar to kill with my bow. Looks like several units in Idaho allow baiting and some have very affordable nonresident tags.

Do you guys that know a bit about Idaho think I will have a hard time pulling it off in a unit with reduced price tags? I mean, are the bears plentiful enough or have they been hunted pretty hard in those units?

Anybody have any baiting advice for a person traveling 9 hours to hunt in early June? How long does the bait need to be active to get the bears going?

Any other talk of hunting bears would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wished you lived closer to this side of Idaho... I've been thinking the same and can't find a partner to commit. I think it's a lot of work and tough to do from that far. From what I have heard it takes about 2 weeks to get them to hit consistently. And you have to refill the bait every 2-3 days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is what I use. Liquid smoke bbq sauce sprayed into trees, Capichino,white cake mix, and throw bacon into low hanging limbs around your shooting zone. It would be good to have the remains of an animal to go with it. I am pretty sure you are going to like this hunt. Can you shoot another wolf?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Wished you lived closer to this side of Idaho... I've been thinking the same and can't find a partner to commit. I think it's a lot of work and tough to do from that far. From what I have heard it takes about 2 weeks to get them to hit consistently. And you have to refill the bait every 2-3 days.
    That would be great to be able to team up on a few baits.

From my limited experience here back when it was legal I would say your right on it taking a few weeks. My experience was in the fall though. Both times I got them coming in then the fall storms hit and put an end to bear activity. I like the idea of doing it in June.I might have to make a bait run and then a hunt run...

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    Here is what I use. Liquid smoke bbq sauce sprayed into trees, Capichino,white cake mix, and throw bacon into low hanging limbs around your shooting zone. It would be good to have the remains of an animal to go with it. I am pretty sure you are going to like this hunt. Can you shoot another wolf?
    Thanks for the tips. Cant shoot wolves in June but next fall the wolf limit is 5 so if I get lucky on my November hunt I will make pupsicles out of them and save them for bear bait.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have baited over the last few years with varying success. I've had a bait hit by the next day and this year had only one small bear hit the bait within the season. But depending on where you setup and the bear density you should be able to get one with weekend baiting in a couple weeks.
    I use a stink bait, filler bait and grease combo. Stink bait is usually any non-game fish like carp that has ripened hung in a tree to get some sent out to get them to the site. Filler bait is bread or whatever to keep them coming back, and the fry grease sweetens up the filler bait and also creates a scent trail for any bear to follow back to the bait.
    I haven't baited in the fall but I think its the same.
    Good luck and feel free to ask any questions..