Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    You are right about NR tags. Every western state (except maybe Ca, Or & Wa) depend on the NR $$$ to keep them going. Here in Colo 30 to 40 % of the tags go to NRs. Without NR money, every resident would undoubtly pay a lot more for tags.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    ADavid- where did you find the petition for resident preference points. I would like to put my name on that as well.

Thanks
    Talked to a biologist for Wyoming and although I would like to see preference points for residents, there is a major downside. There are some trophy elk areas that may be once in a lifetime draw if they go to preference points. Im sure some deer and antelope areas would be the same. I personally would rather have a chance at a license every year than end up waiting 30 years like sheep and moose. Just something to think about. Preference points would hurt some areas.

Thanks
    Birdhunter makes a good point. I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I would like a better chance of drawing a middle tier tag every two or three years. Today I would give up my chance to hunt general elk if I could get a good tag every two or three years. There really is no correct answer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig87 View Post
    ADavid- where did you find the petition for resident preference points. I would like to put my name on that as well.
    I found it at Discount sports here in Casper im not sure where else it is.

My Opinion on a preference point system and the hard to draw areas is i dont see how they could be "hurt" take unit 100 for instance, i have heard of people putting it first choice for 9 years and still have not drawn it and every year they still have the same 5% chance (pretty much once in a lifetime lol), but non residents with max points which they would have if we had a system have a 15% chance at drawing.
    You could still hunt elk every year off general tag or second choice tag and still gain a point in the process

Thanks
    The big difference between moose/sheep and elk/deer is that there is a lot more elk and deer areas so there would not be much point creep unless you are trying to get one of the really limited areas. Even with a points system there would most likely be a lot of leftover OTC tags to get your hands on. There are upsides and downsides both ways. No matter what the they do they are going to have unhappy people any way.

Thanks
    I like Wyoming's NR preference point system. You save up for points to 4 points and then everyone with 4 has the same chance. I live in Colorado and Our PP system is totally screwed up. You have to wait 20+ years for a tag in some units and only the people with that many points have a chance at it. Oh yeah unless you have five or more, than you get a .7% chance at one of the tags. A system that only rewards people that have been putting in for 10+ years discourages new hunters and we need new hunters in order for hunting to have a chance into the future. I believe the hybrid system is best. A 5 point cap and then you have as good of a chance as everyone else with 5 points at a trophy unit. This would space everyone out a bit and encourage new hunters to enter the sport as well as keep people from leaving the sport.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    I would rather be a non resident for trophy tags, odds of drawing them are better than they are for a resident. I think that's all that needs to change, elk and deer can stay the same for residents

Thanks
    Just looking at most of the drawing odds for most of the mid to harder tags to draw a resident would on average draw a tag every 5 years doesnt seem bad to me beings I have gone 7 years on a 30% chance tag.

Plus the biological data crap is just that crap its a stall, last year the bio guy told me they should have cut tags in 73 for antelope and didnt because a outfitter showed up and reemed the commisioners that the bio guy was full of crap. Nothing but a political system. And to be honest getting really fed up with the lack of quality units for all species anymore. I would love to see a choose your weapon designation there are just to many people huntn here now, and believe me I know people like to hunt BOTH seasons but this is getting redonkulous. You cant take a crap in the woods without someone on the next ridge lookin at ya. Isnt this the reason why most of you people moved to wyoming OPEN SPACES, Im 4th generation wyoming and the changes I have seen in the past 10 years is incredible, and concerning...

Thanks
    Justinthedoc, I agree too many hunters these days. Ten years ago there were far fewer hunters and general tags were great but now there is too much pressure. With everybody going out and having to settle on fork horns there are not as many bucks being able to mature. I would much rather wait five years for a mature buck than going out every year. Then right now with the limited areas I know some people who draw tags for certains areas each year, the same areas I have sent in for and never drawn for ten years of applying. To me it's not fair but then again for the guy that draws every year a points system would not be fair.