Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't comment on the NR tag situation as I am a resident, but I agree with liking to be able to go out with a rifle after the bow season, and I agree with Justin that something needs to be done about the mule deer, because it would be nice to have deer to hunt in the future. I would be bummed not hunting deer every year, but I would also like there to be a higher quality hunt for the deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As hunters we can't have it all. Drawing great tags every year, tags for multiple methods of take, big bucks, and lots of resident tags. Getting all of that adds up to crowded woods with small bucks and declining herd numbers. More people hunting is not a bad thing, it means the sport will survive. Along with that it means we may have to wait a few years for a great tag to hang on a big animal.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No offense but i am tired of hearing "we need more hunters so the sport survives". Have you actually checked to see how many people aplly for licenses. Its overwhelming, they say less people are hunting back east, but thats not for lack of folks wanting to, its lack of a place to go. If you,the G&F, and I truly knew how many animals are being wasted by folks who dont know how to shoot a bow, but go, just so they can hunt more, and it looks cool on TV, there would be a choose your weapon, and 90% of those hunters would not appply for the archery tag. If you dont believe me go sit at a archery shop 5 days before the opener of elk season and watch the pure lack of morals and ethics. ( i need a bow setup going hunting tomorrow type crap).. We need to put the whole I can hunt longer attitude aside and truly take care of these animals. If we or I think its bad now just wait a few more years, I now several ranchers in good units that have access through the G&F or just give permission that are on the verge of shutn em down and going with a outfitter because of JOE PUBLIC. Also the WY G&F make 60% of there money on just fishing licenses alone, they dont need the NR money, they just cater to them for the tourism. ( I used to work for em) Like I said this is just a frustration post, there is no silver bullet, but I think its strange that all of a sudden we have boat inspections( 3mnths out of 12), stricter rules in state land and Parks, a freakn stupid decal on a boat for Invasive species (what a joke), but nothing has been done to better the quality of the hunt. Which is why we are all on this forum...

Sorry if i come off abrasive, I just truly love this state, but absolutely hate whats happening to it...
    Last edited by justinthedoc; 05-30-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am new to this great state of Wyoming as of this last spring. So any tags that I applied for was as a non-resident. It has been very interesting to see both the resident, and non-resident sides of issues. More states are starting to discover that the non resident hunting season and tags is a huge money maker. Another non resident benefit is the tag drawing here actually seems early to us. Many of the surrounding states have not even begun to apply for the rifle deer tags. So June feels early to most. But Wyoming is one of the best states in the country for its wildlife and habitat and the country knows it. Be proud of your state because your way ahead of most. I am originally from South Dakota and could take a lesson from its neighbor Wyoming. IN GOD WE TRUST made a great point.
    Many states over sell many counties tags and the hunt becomes a bad experience and the state gets bad reviews back....but again its just too good of revenue but in some areas, South Dakota wildlife is in BIG trouble, particularly its elk. Hats off to Wyoming for balancing everything better than most state. Its good to be here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Here's my bitch. When I was 100% draw odds for Antalope this year why I didn't draw is beyond me. So why would they say it's 100% if it is not? I can't wait to hunt Wy and think the state is a great hunting destination.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I not exactly sure how Wyoming calculates the drawing odds. Here in Colorado they publish drawing odds and they seem to round off the numbers eg. If there are 100 tags and 107 people apply, they saw the odd are 100% DRAW. If you look at the Wyoming stats that are online, I think you will see something very similiar.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wyoming does NOT need a preference point system for residents, it needs a BONUS point system for residents. I was a nonresident and thought Wyoming's drawing system was great because of the favorable draw odds and then moved here about a year ago and found out how much it sucks for residents. Someone should not have to go four or more years without drawing a bull or buck tag. A preference point system is not the answer because of point creep, knowing that you would have to have a certain amount of points before you have a chance to draw. In a bonus point system, everyone has a chance to draw, it's just that the people that have went the longest without drawing have the best chance to get the tags. Every year that you don't draw you get a bonus point, and your number of bonus points determines how many chances you have in the drawing. Montana uses this system for its residents in the limited quota areas.

I like that Wyoming has all the limited quota areas because it generally means a better chance at a mature animal when you do draw a tag. Wyoming probably has the best combination of quality and opportunity of all the western states, it's just that the opportunity should be a lot better for residents.

A huge problem I have with Wyoming is that they seem to put money as a higher priority than managing the big game herds. The mule deer population is clearly hurting and they refuse to cut back on tags. The numbers of antelope tags they give out for some units is ridiculous.

Another example of them trying to get as much money as possible is those invasive species stickers. I'm not against the idea of it at all, invasive species are a huge problem in some states and it's a good idea to be proactive about it, but they don't even inspect your boat before you can buy the sticker. I realize there's check stations at some lakes, but if you went to a lake that didn't have a check station there's nothing stopping someone from putting a boat in the water that was covered in zebra mussels.

Enough of my complaining, but WY definately needs to change the drawing for residents and I think a bonus point system would be the best way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A bonus point, and a preferance point for elk, deer, and antelope would be the same thing. They give enough tags they would be Identical. For example area 120 elk 78 tags roughly 350 people applied. (Dnt know exact #) would be a 4.5% chance, a point system you would be guaranteed to draw that tag in 4-5 years or you could statistically speaking never draw the tag. Seems clear to me. If not how about area 7 roughly a 30-40% chance of drawing. Or a point system you would be guaranteed to draw in two-three years. I know people who havent drawn that area for 11 years. I agree a bonus point like CO has for sheep, moose and goat would definatly be the way to go, newbies will probably never draw a moose, and very slim on a sheep. To me it just doenst make sense to not want a point/bonus system, unless you sweet talked the "Unbiased" computer draw system of the G&F.
    Last edited by justinthedoc; 07-25-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: mis

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by justinthedoc View Post
    No offense but i am tired of hearing "we need more hunters so the sport survives". Have you actually checked to see how many people aplly for licenses. Its overwhelming, they say less people are hunting back east, but thats not for lack of folks wanting to, its lack of a place to go. If you,the G&F, and I truly knew how many animals are being wasted by folks who dont know how to shoot a bow, but go, just so they can hunt more, and it looks cool on TV, there would be a choose your weapon, and 90% of those hunters would not appply for the archery tag. If you dont believe me go sit at a archery shop 5 days before the opener of elk season and watch the pure lack of morals and ethics. ( i need a bow setup going hunting tomorrow type crap).. We need to put the whole I can hunt longer attitude aside and truly take care of these animals. If we or I think its bad now just wait a few more years, I now several ranchers in good units that have access through the G&F or just give permission that are on the verge of shutn em down and going with a outfitter because of JOE PUBLIC. Also the WY G&F make 60% of there money on just fishing licenses alone, they dont need the NR money, they just cater to them for the tourism. ( I used to work for em) Like I said this is just a frustration post, there is no silver bullet, but I think its strange that all of a sudden we have boat inspections( 3mnths out of 12), stricter rules in state land and Parks, a freakn stupid decal on a boat for Invasive species (what a joke), but nothing has been done to better the quality of the hunt. Which is why we are all on this forum...

Sorry if i come off abrasive, I just truly love this state, but absolutely hate whats happening to it...
    I agree with you except for one thing, look at the cost of non res. tags. 10 times the amount of a resident tag. I can't believe they don't need the money. All states are the same as for as non res. tags/lic. go. Az., Ut. and Co.. No different. What I don't agree with in Wy. is non resident's can't hunt in the wilderness areas with out a guide or resident. It's Federal (public) land not State land. I know it's for the Outfitter's benifit and so on but seriously ? Still my favorite place to hunt.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 07-26-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree 100% about the wilderness part, guess they think its to wild for city-folk. But the same claim can be said about Alaska, why can I go hunt black bear, but not grizz/coastals. Why can I hunt moose, but not sheep with out a guide. Arizona NR tag system is a scam if ya ask me I dnt know how many thousands I have given them just to put in for a desert sheep tag. As far as the more money thing goes I think it honestly sways some people from putting in and ya have a bettewr shot at getting a tag I guess, pretty soon we are all going to get screwd. no matter what state ya live in.