Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've been doing lots of research as well. I'm in the market for a GPS but trying to determine if I should buy a dedicated garmin (probably oregon 550) or try to get by with my Android. You can buy these apps for $10-$20 on the market. I could use the money I saved from not buying a dedicated gps unit and buy a solar charger. My thoughts are that I'll be updating my phone on a consistent basis anyway, why upgrade a gps unit all the time if I can just use my phone. Garmin better watch out, selling dedicated $600 gps systems will be a thing of the past eventually once these smartphone apps become more mature.

Looks like GAIA GPS and Backcountry Navigator are turning up as the most popular, at least for supporting android. Besides basic functionality of a GPS like tracking, compass, etc. I need the GPS to tell me if I'm on public or private land and be able to show me gmu. I just don't think these phone apps are there yet; but please speak up if you know of an app. Accuterra claims to show public/private but their website hasn't had any updates since early 2010 so I think the project may have been abandoned.

I just don't think a garmin with huntinggpsmaps can be touched by any of the smartphone apps; at least from what I've been reading.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I downloaded motion x terrain on my I phone 4s it has all major map viewers like google bing and usgs. I played with it out of service and it was a bit slow but always found my location spot on. I was able to save a huge map before exiting service and it worked well you can save waypoints and track routes while out of service wich was neat only downside so far is not showing public or private land and also doesn't show small springs like a topo. I will have to save all destination points on the saved map before leaving the topo at home. For 99 cents it's a pretty cool app so far.It also has options for coordinates when out of service. While my phone said no service I was driving with the cruise set at 75 it called me out at 73.5 I'm impressed with the I phones abilities while out of service. Not sure if droid works the same. I remember trying to use a map on a droid while out of service and it did nothing.
    Last edited by hardstalk; 06-05-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BTW, Cabelas has many of the garmin GPS's for sale. They have the Oregon 550 for $350.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll take a map and a compass when the battery fails or I can't get reception, I'd be able to find my way out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Been playing with the new phone and i think im gonna use it as my gps this year it will also be my back up flash light,compass, video, reg camera and note book. What more could u ask for out of one piece of equipment.