Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 9 Posts

Taxadermy position

What makes your decision on what position for your mounts? Is it how the animal looked at the time you shot it? Or just what you choose with the Taxi looking at other mounts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    I actually have never mounted anything I've killed, not really sure why.. I have 4 P&Y whitetails and an antelope, but never mounted any of them.. Me personally, for deer, I like the sneak look and the head up, ears forward look.. Just about any position is gonna look great, coming from a good taxidermist.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 6 Posts
    Depends on where he will go. Usually like them to show off there best side. Also depends on the size too.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Like velvetfvr, for me it depends alot on where i'll hang the mount. Also i like my mounts to look like they belong there, not just hanging on the wall helter skelter. So i guess my answer is try to show off the mounts best features in a location that "fits" in with the rest of the heads but yet stands out in it's own regard.

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Agree with velvetfvr. My Tule Elk is turned right, one Mulie is sneak looking stright ahead, the other Mulies is turned left and my Pronghorn is straight ahead and on alert. I have arranged them on a wall together and with the current configuration it works fine.

Now the problem, I have been playing around with mounting ducks and geese (and just about to finish up what I have left from this past hunting season). The problem is I should have a Mulie hunt in Ca in a pretty good unit where I have had 7 tags and taken 5 deer, then its off to Wyoming, first for Antelope (a buck tag and two doe tags) then finish up with a Bull Elk hunt in the Big Horns in Wyoming. Whatever I take on these hunts I an going to do my first shoulder mounts (unless I take a coyote in the Sierras on a scout trip). I figure the does will be practice fleshing and turning ears, nose and mouth. I guess the problem is two fold, first what poses would look the best and how to convince the wife that we need two or three more mounts in the living room. The poses will work themselves out by turning the head to show off what side looks the best (more points, a little trash, etc), the wife will require a little more work.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I have mine mounted in the general position they were in when the arrow was released.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I always get ahead of myself. I built my house with a tall ceiling in the living room and have all my mounts in the room. I put backing inbetween all the studs so I could hang the mounts easier. This year I am concentrating on my elk and like the head turned looking left with the antlers back, bugling with the nose wet and the hair on the chin dripping. So I have to smoke a monster to pull this off. Did I mention I get ahead of myself!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 9 Posts
    I am kind of the same way. I have my mounts positioned in a way the show off the good stuff and how they will be set on the wall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    I am partial to sneak and semi-sneak mounts, as I think they are one of the most natural looking poses. Then I usually do a turn to present the best features on the horn or antlers....or..... if I have a spot picked out in the room, so it best fits in that spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It just depends on a lot of things such as room size, location it will go, etc. One thing to possibly consider is a pedestal mount. They really look sharp and you can turn them and move them around easily to fit different locations, and change things up later so you aren't stuck having it kept in one position. Mount the animal to show off it's best side or feature and go with what you think will look nice. The taxidermist will always be helpful in that respect as he might have some ideas just by looking at the animal to be done.

Check some of these mounts out. It gives you some ideas.

http://custombirdworks.com/gallery.html#nogo
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson