Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Light Weight cookware

I'm getting set up for backcountry hunting this fall and just ordered a jetboil sol ti, for those of you that have this set up or something simalar, what do you use for light weight cookware or do you even use cookware? If you bring mountain house meals, most have 2 servings per package, do you just make it all up at once and just eat out of the bag or do you mix one serving in a seperate container/cookware?

If cookware is used, what do you perfer, what brand? type of metal, aluminum or titanuim? And do these all work with jetboil? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    I always eat a whole mountain house right out of the bag. I cant imagine that it is two servings, and I would eat two if it were not for the bulk of carrying two per day. They are only about 300-350 calories each? Ive simplified my meals to the point where I only use a stove to boil water. Mostly because I am lazy and I hate doing dishes in the backcountry. I used to make elaborate meals when I was jsut starting out, before I new about mountainhouse. Those days are over. The most elaborate thing i will cook these days is maybe some pan fried trout on an open camp fire, if im motivated enough to pack a pan and oil. Sometimes the trout get cooked on a willow skewer.
    Still I try to just pack the jetboil with its set up and only boil water. Clean, lite, and easy.

Thanks
    I should add that in addition to the jetboil I bring an extra long spoon and a coffee cup. I use the StarBucks instant coffee, which is pretty damn good considering. My coffee cup changes since I have not found the ideal cup yet. Ive been using an REI plastic cup with the handle sawed off. I have contemplated somthing titanium, but I have not found the ideal cup yet and since titanium is expensive I want to only buy once.
    If anyone has a suggestion for a small, insulated, titanium coffee cup with a lid Im all ears. It has to have a good lid, and that is the downfall of the best titanium cups I have found. They dont come with a fricken lid! I mean come on!

Thanks
    + 1 on the LONG SPOON for Mt. Houses haha

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocka View Post
    + 1 on the LONG SPOON for Mt. Houses haha
    Hahah for sure those bags are deep. I have a Titanium spork that's pretty long and get all of the goodies at the bottom of the Mt. House.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 8750 View Post
    I always eat a whole mountain house right out of the bag. I cant imagine that it is two servings, and I would eat two if it were not for the bulk of carrying two per day. They are only about 300-350 calories each? Ive simplified my meals to the point where I only use a stove to boil water. Mostly because I am lazy and I hate doing dishes in the backcountry. I used to make elaborate meals when I was jsut starting out, before I new about mountainhouse. Those days are over. The most elaborate thing i will cook these days is maybe some pan fried trout on an open camp fire, if im motivated enough to pack a pan and oil. Sometimes the trout get cooked on a willow skewer.

Still I try to just pack the jetboil with its set up and only boil water. Clean, lite, and easy.

I so agree! I can easily eat more then one. If we're at a base camp were the weight isn't a issue we cook out a few to try them out and share the meals. It's a good way to see which ones you like and the ones you don't care for.

Thanks
    8750 I use a halulite cup super lightweight and it comes with a solid lid and insulating sleeve and finger condoms so you can grab it off the fire I got it from rei and love it can't remember the exact brand though.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...malist-cookset
    Last edited by hardstalk; 05-21-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Add link

Thanks
    Long spork and Starbucks coffee for me too. I use the Snowpeak Giga Power stove with a Snowpeak titanium pot (Ti-mini solo combo and leave the cup at home). Works great.

Thanks
    X2 on the long spoon learned that one the hard way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander51 View Post
    X2 on the long spoon learned that one the hard way.
    I spent a week without any utensils last year-lost my spoon between Montana and Arizona hunts.....You CAN drink Mountain house out of the bag if you have to. Its not my preference though.