Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY Sheep and Mtn Goat Tag in the same year....A Good Problem To Have?

Yes, the thread is correct, I have a very very very serious problem. I drew both a Bighorn Sheep tag for Area 22 AND a Mtn Goat tag for Area 1. Now of course the dilemma is which animal to hunt first and how much time to allow for each hunt. From the basic information I've got so far from the various hunters, outfitters, and the sheep biologist is that the Goat hunt shouldn't be terribly difficult to find animals but finding a nice Billie with a good coat in a good position to allow for a safe retrieval is the key. In reading the MRS section on the sheep area I was really excited however in talking to the biologist for this area, harvest was poor this last year and the number of mature rams calling this area home are down. One good thing is that WY is leaving some areas, including this area, open thru the end of October which should help bring some of the larger rams down from the high country. I also do have the ability to hunt in Area 5 all of October if need be.

Honestly guys I'm looking for some direction from anyone who has hunted goats in Area 1 or Sheep in Area 22/5. Again, what a thrill this fall is going to be. I haven't been able to sleep for 3 weeks, but some of that has to do with how sore I am from hitting the running trails and hills!

Thanks for any help anyone can lend!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Your problem is the one we all wish we had............good job on the tags!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 3 Posts
    That doesnt sound like a problem at all to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats a great problem to have!! Sorry I cant help with any info though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't care what other people say, that is a problem. A guy can only take so much time off of work and one of those tags requires a hunter to dedicate 100%. I hope you figure it out bud. Pass some of that luck this way would ya!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I think I would embrace this "problem." Do what you have to in order to make it happen. Find a way to get the time. Spend the dough on the gas and sundries. Get into the best shape of your life. Invest in a camera and use it. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Congratulations.

Get in touch with as many previous tag holders as you can. People are more open with info on these premium tags, as they should be, given they won't be hunting it every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hope you can beg borrow or steal enough time off work to make this come together for you. Sounds like you are getting in to shape to make the most of the opportunity. I hope you will get some great information to make for an thrilling, successful hunt. Sounds like your problem is one we all wish we had. Great job on the pull on your tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the kind words guys. Problem may not have been the right word but as I'm sure you can imagine, there is a great deal of stress that comes with one tag, let alone both at the same time.

I appreciate any and all help I could get here guys. With only about 2.5 weeks of vacation, a 20 month old little boy, and a very understanding and patient wife, you can imagine the little bit of pressure I'm feeling to get this done and do it right.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Wow...congrats. I think you definitely want to hunt Unit 5 in October. I wouldn't waste my days in Unit 22 if you are trying to conserve your days off. My son had a tag in Unit 5 in 2007 and I hunted there in 2009. We both got rams. There are a ton of rams in that unit. I sent you a PM. In fact my avatar is my Unit 5 ram.

The guy who knows that unit the best is Kevin Hurley. Kevin used to run the sheep program for Wyoming. He now works with the Foundation for Wild Sheep in Cody, Wyoming. Go to their website and click on "about" then click on "office staff" to get a link for how to contact Kevin.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 05-23-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You asked for it! You did apply for both tags, right? Congrats, and good luck!!!