Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadus, Mt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why blow tires? Been hunting off roads in all sorts of conditions in north Wisconsin, never heard of that being a big issue. Do chains cause that?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good suggestions all. Good tires, tire chains, a high lift jack, come-alongs, shovel, and a couple tow straps. I strongly suggest one or two of those 20,000 or 30,000 pound bungee type tow straps. You get a couple shackles and have them attached to each vehicle so they won't come flying off or fall off the tow hook, and get lots of slack in the strap. Have the stuck vehicle in gear and his wheels just spinning slightly in gear. Gun it and go. The first time you will do it, you will be scared to death and you "will not" do as I just said and gingerly "hit it". Once you realize you aren't going to tear anything up, the next time you will gas her and go. Your vehicle will slow down as the strap stretches to it's maximum. You will come to a stop unless you manage to pop him out of his hole just with that, but if you do come to a stop, it acts like a huge super tough rubber band and it will sling-shot the stuck vehicle out of the hole. It will even pull you backwards a bit. They really work slick. Even if you cannot get very good traction in the vehicle that is trying to free the stuck one, with there being this slack and the fact that you are able to get speed up before you hit resistance, it still works in those conditions. I cannot tell you how much better it is than chains or regular tow straps that have no give.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdy View Post
    Why blow tires? Been hunting off roads in all sorts of conditions in north Wisconsin, never heard of that being a big issue. Do chains cause that?
    Cactus everywhere, greasewood, sharp rocks, barbed wire fence down and not seen, and other assorted gremlins to make life miserable.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    Cactus everywhere, greasewood, sharp rocks, barbed wire fence down and not seen, and other assorted gremlins to make life miserable.
    Believe it or not, but the road conditions can be THE most limiting factor for success. If the roads mud up most can become impassable unless you are outfitted correctly. The good news is that if the weather cooperates the wind will dry them out pretty quick but you do not want to be unprepared. Without the right gear you may be hunting off the highways.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wasn't there a bad winter or two there that really hurt the mulies in spots in SE MT? also blue tongue for the antleope...and mulies?

I talked to a taxidermist who said they got hammered, but mentioned a few spots he would go, I can't recall where, It hink he may have said up near miles city the bad winter kinda missed them, but I thought that se part near broadus really got hammered.

so perhaps call around and be open to adjusting your specific spot of hunting.