Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 67 Colorado Mule Deer 3rd season

I have the tag. Scouting started last weekend with a quick drive from Gunnison toward Sawtooth Mt. I went out Willow Creek thru Vulcan and past Right Springs. I think I am in big trouble. It looks like weather is in control of this hunt, I know it will be cold in nov and I assume migration will be finished by 11/3-11/11.
    What is Basil Basin like?
    Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted elk higher there a few years ago and saw little deer sign and no deer. Not alpine but there was a fair amount of snow in the alpine on the first season. I have researched the deer some and heard a lot are in the lower aspen country. Don't overlook that. It's probably where I would start but I am not sure as I haven't quite done enough research yet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nwwa huner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone know how the drought will affect the mule deer in unit 67 Co. What kind of antler growth can we expect? I finally get the tag and now a drought.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Xtreme,

Unfortunately deer still haven't recovered fully from the bad winter a couple of years. I headed there scouting for a buddy that drew an elk tag for third season. My recommendation is go to the south end of the unit towards Stewart peak. The old agency area should hold some deer if the migrate. Being that our weather patterns are most certainly unpredictable it could be 70 degrees during third season. You just never know. Pray for snow and hunt the sage areas. 67 has some great deer they just don't hang out in the open areas as much as other unit.

Hope that helps. If you want more specific info, PM me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I sent you a pm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have talked to a couple of state biologists and from the info relayed to me we can expect 85%-90% antler growth. They said even though we have a drought this year they were able to pack on weight last summer/ fall and then had an easy winter so they came into the spring very healthy.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted 67 for elk last fall. We were camped about halfway between Old Agency and Porcupine Gulch. We hunted (6) of us, pretty much from Porcupine to the park. Saw 2 very nice muleys even in the early rifle elk season. One up close and personal from the front side and back that would green score 170". The other was nearly as good. Several juvenile bucks and a bunch of doe off and on through out the week. If I had been deer hunting,it would have been a banner trip. BUT! I'm not sure I would want to burn a bunch of p-points in there for anything other than the 3rd rifle season. I think with the rut in gear a fella just might tag a nice one in there. Not sure about the warmer weathr early on. They came alive the day we had a little snow and a front move in. Even the day after. I'm currently saving points for a Powderhorn deer hunt, but might consider a late rifle hunt in 67 if the biologists and taxidermists thought it prudent. +1 on the aspen country. Between that and the sage. Even as early in the year as it was,there were deer in the aspens at 9,000 / 9,500 ft.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by adbowhunter View Post
    Xtreme,

Unfortunately deer still haven't recovered fully from the bad winter a couple of years. I headed there scouting for a buddy that drew an elk tag for third season. My recommendation is go to the south end of the unit towards Stewart peak. The old agency area should hold some deer if the migrate. Being that our weather patterns are most certainly unpredictable it could be 70 degrees during third season. You just never know. Pray for snow and hunt the sage areas. 67 has some great deer they just don't hang out in the open areas as much as other unit.

Hope that helps. If you want more specific info, PM me.

Saw one in the Stewart Creek area in the summer right off the road. But other then that haven't seen a lot of deer there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What season did you hunt Three Tikkas? I may get to scout the end of this month. I will probably begin looking close to Old Agency. I just don't know what to expect for weather except cold.
    One of the forum members was scouting last weekend but I don't have a report yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It was the first rifle elk season.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeTikkas For This Useful Post: