Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Made my third scouting trip into unit 67 without finding anything to get excited about. I know I will be hunting migratory deer in the third season, but I covered lots of ground without seeingany deer or elk on public land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The next time I'm in the "Man cave", I'll grab my GPS. I have some stuff marked on it that may be of some service to you. I can get you into where we saw the 2 big boys,and where the most sign was.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That would be good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am going to say something that a lot of you may take exception to....but here goes anyway. Late season hunts (3rd & 4th) are so unpredictable weatherwise that productive scouting is very limited. Looking for access routes, gaining hunting permission on private land and getting a general lay of the land is really important for newcomers. But seeing animals is limited to their summer range, which can (and usually is) very different and can be pretty far from where they could be during late seasons.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am glad you reinterated that point CC. I know that hunting migratory herds is a lot different than animals that stay in an area year round. I did like you said and looked for access routes and what looked like a good hunting area for season, just a little discourageing not to see any sign. I did get close to summer range for deer and elk but I was by myself and started hearing funny noises from the front of the jeep so I turned back. Third season up there could produce a winter storm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I definately have an advantage as I live right near (and in) great hunting areas for deer and elk. I see them year round and get a good feel for how and when they migrate here. Someone coming here to hunt from out of the area can be at a disadvantage, especially the first few times they are here. The big variable IS the winters. Some are really mild and some are really harsh and the animals act very differently depending on this variability.

Just thought I should emphasize this for some of the members who are just starting out. Always ready to help when I can.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I sent my friend, Dan into a canyon that had no sign and told him elk would come there as soon as the orange coats arrived. His bull encounter started at 0930. We had shot at Weddington Center concentrating on 400yds. I thought that would be his shot instead it was 40ft and after the first shot the bull charged him, he missed him the second shot. The bull made it 36ft bumped a tree and fell dead. Dan had the first shot right from his 270wsm. He called me for help and we got home with the bull at 1830, thanks to the Can Am. Dans first bull, too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone been in unit 67 lately? I have watched the weather all fall and it looks like weather has been favorable. I will be hunting mule deer third season, probaly in the aspens. Looking for help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just returned yesterday from GMU67 2nd rifle elk. I think I have some good news for you. Wish I would have had a buck tag in my pocket instead of a bull tag. Last year 67 was fine for elk but I saw very few deer; it was just the opposite for me this year. I hunt the North side of Sawtooth, camping at the North end of Long Park and hunting my way toward the mountain above Long and Soldiers parks and up into Slaughter park. There is an area in the transition zone from dark timber to the quakies above Soldiers park that is holding good numbers of bucks. I hunted for 7 of the 9 day season, and went in a week early to scout. One day when scouting, I dropped down out of the quakies into the sage above Soldiers park and was glassing the camps setting at the bottom of the park. I jumped a high-racked 4x4 with a heavy kicker on his right and a lesser kicker on his left. As elk season started, I saw at minimum 4 to 5 bucks per day. Some spikes, a few forkies and 3x3's, but mostly 4x4's and a 4x5. One morning as I approached a 100ft contour increase to a flat I favor, at the top of the rise was a deer standing broadwise with his head hidden in the pine branches. The body was massive with a swayed back and pot belly. As I raised my binnos he turned facing me directly and lowered his head under the branches to look at me. I'd only seen pictures of bucks like this but never in the field. His antlers are perfectly straight, running parallel and upturning perfectly into 4 points each side. There is no way a man's hand could wrap half-way around the antler bases, the mass is so great. The mass extends into all the tines which makes the antlers look small for the massive body, until a tape is put on them and he's probably pushing 200 inches or more. He's probably about at his end of life and this might be his last winter. Sure would like to read on here after the season that you made it his last fall! I wanted a picture of him but by the time I got the camera out, he had quietly slipped away. I punched a lot of numbers in my GPS for buck sightings if you want them. Good hunting!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Awise1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You bet I want those gps numbers. This is really awesome news and I sure hope I can live up to expectations. I will be heading that way in the AM with a non hunting friend. We will be going by Conejos first to winter proof the house there and I still have dsl there. I have been in there (unit 67) three times this year. Love your post.