Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rozet, WY
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have bought that DIY European mounting kit from cabelas. I was skeptical at first but it turned out really good.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    283
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Here's some I've done as a self-taught, amateur taxidermist. The regular whitetail was my first shoulder mount, the muley was second, and the piebald was done this winter. The quality has increased each time, and I think after a couple more, they'll be pretty darn good. The positioning of the ears has been the biggest challenge to me, and I think I finally got it right on the piebald.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laborday2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	3664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caribou.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	3665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piebald2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	3666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selfmuley.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	3667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selfwhitey.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	3668
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jackson, CA
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 101 Times in 97 Posts
    Congratulations
    12
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CrimsonArrow that piebald is siiiick! Nice work man.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to sjsmallfield For This Useful Post:


  5. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice job crimson, I think your right about the ears positioning on the piebald. Looks great! How did you get into diy taxidermy if you dont mind me asking>

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    283
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock 2.0 View Post
    Nice job crimson, I think your right about the ears positioning on the piebald. Looks great! How did you get into diy taxidermy if you dont mind me asking>
    I arrowed a good practice buck, saw a whitetail mounting kit in a Cabelas catalog for $80, and jumped in head first.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    545
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0451.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	3674

    This is my first attempt at mounting a pheasant. The tail feathers weren't worth a crap but other than that I was fairly happy for my first attempt.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	3675

    These are the 3 bucks that I horn-mounted from 2003 in North Dakota. I drew a muzzy and rifle tag that year and also had my OTC bow tag. It is usually tough to have 3 buck tags in one year but that was my lucky year. Not the biggest bucks in the world but I was pretty dang happy with those deer at the time. I have since thrown away the board they were mounted on.....

  8. #17
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    4,243
    Thanks
    970
    Thanked 564 Times in 401 Posts
    Congratulations
    85
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0451.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	3674

    This is my first attempt at mounting a pheasant. The tail feathers weren't worth a crap but other than that I was fairly happy for my first attempt.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	3675

    These are the 3 bucks that I horn-mounted from 2003 in North Dakota. I drew a muzzy and rifle tag that year and also had my OTC bow tag. It is usually tough to have 3 buck tags in one year but that was my lucky year. Not the biggest bucks in the world but I was pretty dang happy with those deer at the time. I have since thrown away the board they were mounted on.....

    What are the horns mounted to? The pics make it look like some type of shiny plastic or rock?

  9. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    What are the horns mounted to? The pics make it look like some type of shiny plastic or rock?
    Looks like a laminate to me....?

  10. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    crimson...looking good man. you defiantly are improving. every piece should be practice for the next. i would stress reference photos. not 1 or 2. pour over close up pics of the muscle detail. that is what i feel you are lacking. 100s right before you do your muscle detail and ear buts. will help to truly make them come to life. here is a turkey fan i did today...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Crestline, CA.
    Posts
    468
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Not bad boys, Taxidermy is an art and you will eventually get your signature or style of work. I can usually guess the taxidermist by looking at a mount from my area.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigshot For This Useful Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Make the most out of your Scouting Trip
    By Hilltop in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM
  2. Lightweigh Scope Mounts
    By MtnBoy in forum Lightweight
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM
  3. when to make a move
    By dying to kill in forum Blacktail, Coues' and Whitetail
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM
  4. If you were building an elk rifle, what would you make?
    By mcseal2 in forum Guns, Muzzleloaders and Ammo
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM
  5. Antelope Mounts are Done.
    By troutcarver in forum Antelope
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •