Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the better half

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

the better half

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I hunt out west basically one week per year. This year i'm going to CO for either muzzleloader (if I draw) or OTC archery elk in the wilderness for one week during rut peak. After watching David Long's hunt over and over, I also want to go chase some mulies with a bow at 12000 feet opening week. The wife has a hard time when I leave for one week. How do some of you talk the spouse into letting you leave her and the kids alone for hunts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the same problem. My wife hates it when I go on a hunt for any extended period of time. I usually bargain like heck and do whatever she wants in the months leading up to my hunt with the express understanding that she will not whine about my hunt. One year I sent her to Hawaii with the girls. So I guess I do whatever it takes to get on my hunts and keep peace at home! Luckily she is usually pretty fair in her demands.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I found that if all bills are paid, all house hold supplies are stocked, house and yard look good, assurance of communication via phone e-mail or texting, and taking them on special trips when I return really makes it work. I keep my wife busy planning for the outings when I return. I always bring home presents I.e. jewelry and that is a major help. Now I am sure u will hear a bunch of the tough guys telling you to just lay down the law, wear the pants etc., but that just creates more of a barrier for your trips and the family unity. It is not you vs. Your wife and family. This works for me well, as I can hunt most of the fall, hunt in the winter, fish and hunt spring time, fish summer time, and never hear a complaint.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My wife actually helps me out most years. She will rent movies and bake special treats and go to the kids favorite local places when I'm gone. They actually look forward to me going sometimes because they know they will get to goof-off allot. My problem is this year she put her foot down. Before I can go on another hunt she gets a new washer and dryer, not the cheap ones either, top of the line. Then I have to take the whole family to Colorado on a vacation. My plan is to buy the washer and dryer, then take the family on a backpack trip in August to Colorado to a unit I would like to check out and hunt. I have until April 5 to convince her on the backpack trip so I can put in for a mule deer tag, and I'm running out of time. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!!
    Member: RMEF, MDF, NRA, DU, PF and Life Member NAHC.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All good advice, guys. My wife said she would be open to staying at some kind of indoor waterpark hotel near where I'm hunting. Does anyone know of decent place near Montrose?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does it help to know My wife and two boys usually are with me on those week long hunts? Wife makes one heck of a nice warm breakfast to come back to camp to late morning. Kids enjoy splashing in the lake we camp near. My wife is interested in hunting too, so she goes along to help and come rifle season she gets a shot at an elk or deer. She has told me that there is no way she would find stalking elk and deer for hours only to get busted or miss a fun thing to do, and cant understand why I get so excited when I get SOOO Close! lol.
    Thats fine, we both have our own way of getting it done, but try taking them along with you.
    Set up a nice base camp tent with HEAT,the women love heat. Bring other things to do, and spend one day taking them with you, even though you may not get anything that way, they feel included and can enjoy more than the four walls of the tent.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    My wife actually helps me out most years. She will rent movies and bake special treats and go to the kids favorite local places when I'm gone. They actually look forward to me going sometimes because they know they will get to goof-off allot. My problem is this year she put her foot down. Before I can go on another hunt she gets a new washer and dryer, not the cheap ones either, top of the line. Then I have to take the whole family to Colorado on a vacation. My plan is to buy the washer and dryer, then take the family on a backpack trip in August to Colorado to a unit I would like to check out and hunt. I have until April 5 to convince her on the backpack trip so I can put in for a mule deer tag, and I'm running out of time. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!!
    I like your style, buisness and pleasure. Good luck to you.
    Brian
    Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
    www.blueskieshunting.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 4 Posts
    My wife knew who I was and what I did before she married me. That being said the only times she hates me gone is when I go on extended trips for like 18 days at a time. And most of the time when I get home it ruins her day (she says) and she says when are you going hunting again. She is actually pretty good to let me go when I want.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The biggest issue my wife has when I go out on extended hunts, is the lack of communication and knowing if I am doing OK. So last year I bought a SPOT, and about 4-5 times a day I hit the button and let her know where I am and that I am ok. It does nothing for me while I am out; but it does give her peace of mind knowing I am fine. The other nice thing about it is when I get back, I have all these waypoints plotted out on a Google Earth style map that I can reference for future hunts. That being said, I still need to make sure everything on the "Honey Do" list is done, and then some, before I go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Equal time away and doing something she enjoys doing.