Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another vote for merino wool. I really like the First Lite system and I have also worn lightweight merino under synthetics.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    coming from someone who hunts CA A zone in 100+ degree heat this is what I use:

BPS Enduraskin long sleeve (one cotton short sleeve shirt with chest pocket for the stalk as I put my rangefinder in the pocket)
    BPS Enduraskin boxer
    Wool socks with liner (extra pairs as I can go through 2 a day)
    BPS Micro Lite zip off pants

Any other company making the same type of material under their name would work just as fine (ie UA heat gear).

I am trying out this year First lite wool base layer shirt and boxers to replace the enduraskin. Hoping it breathes better than the enduraskin, but we will see.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Seems like the merino wool is some pretty popular stuff. Since my buddy has the cabelas stuff I might get the merino wool and the ua heat gear and do a "field test" and see which one of the three seem to work best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 for me on merino wool. I use it in both warm weather and cold on backcountry treks. Thin, natural fibres make it warm in cold weather, cool in warm weather, light, breathable, easy care, no stink and no itch. I use the same shirt on week long trips and it carries little to no stink at all due to natural antimicrobial properties that inhibit bacteria growth. Some folks might be sensitive to itching but I've not found that to be the case in my experience and it is very soft to the touch.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ORBucksBullsBears5 View Post
    Seems like the merino wool is some pretty popular stuff. Since my buddy has the cabelas stuff I might get the merino wool and the ua heat gear and do a "field test" and see which one of the three seem to work best.
    If you're talking tight base layer stuff, IME, merino blows the heck out of UA. But this is in cooler weather. I must have a phobia of wearing tight base layers when it's hot out, as I've never tried it yet. I prefer loose clothes in warmer temps. First Lite did run a good sale on their stuff at the end of the season and I picked up a bunch. Maybe I'll give it a try...

There is no doubt that merino is the best when it comes to odor control. I will have to try it out in warmer temps and see if it keeps a guy cool enough.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Smartwool is another brand of merino I really like. Actually, I thought my Smartwool stuff was more comfortable than the First Lite. Maybe it just needs a couple runs through the washing machine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    idk how lightweight it is but camofire has a smokin deal right now on a Russell APX G2 Zephyr jacket, in oak brush camo...60somethin% off! I just pulled the trigger for myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    If you're talking tight base layer stuff, IME, merino blows the heck out of UA. But this is in cooler weather. I must have a phobia of wearing tight base layers when it's hot out, as I've never tried it yet. I prefer loose clothes in warmer temps. First Lite did run a good sale on their stuff at the end of the season and I picked up a bunch. Maybe I'll give it a try...

There is no doubt that merino is the best when it comes to odor control. I will have to try it out in warmer temps and see if it keeps a guy cool enough.
    In really hot temps (90-100+) you want it tight to your skin, this will allow for maximum moisture transfer from your skin to the clothes and keep you the coolest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have some of the microtex gear by cabelas and I think it is very comfortable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the Sitka ascent pants and the UA heat gear stuff. Also first lite is good too.