Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm certainly no expert and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but have you given serious thought to your initial 10 mile pack in? It depends on how tough of a trail it is and also your altitude, but it seems like you might set yourself up for altitude sickness. If you are coming from an elevation of 500 feet and then start a 10 mile hike at 12,000 feet, there might be some problems. I don't know the details of your situation though so maybe that's not the case. It is just something to think about...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Forget the llamas and find some horses.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't see anything wrong with having someone with horses pack your meat out without a license. They are not outfitting or guiding you, they're simply providing transportation for you and your camp. I'm always looking for a deal too though, I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Either way, good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I'm certainly no expert and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but have you given serious thought to your initial 10 mile pack in? It depends on how tough of a trail it is and also your altitude, but it seems like you might set yourself up for altitude sickness. If you are coming from an elevation of 500 feet and then start a 10 mile hike at 12,000 feet, there might be some problems. I don't know the details of your situation though so maybe that's not the case. It is just something to think about...
    I have given serious thought and have not made a decision on location yet, but 10 miles in is the worst case scenario. So I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best. However, I am working on being in top physical condition and will make arrangements to get some medication to prevent Altitude Sickness so I don't have to worry about it. Also, I plan on spending a few days before the hunting trip getting acclimated to the elevation by camping and fishing with my brothers at different elevations in Colorado.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you've been around horses I would rent some and use them the entire trip. If not I would go the lama route.
    The elevation will kick ur a$$ if your not used to it, I do not consider myself in good mountain shape, But the last time I was at sea level I could run 4 miles at 6 to 7 MPH and not get winded.
    I would not count on an outfitter like others have said. They are usally not bad guys, But they will take care of there stuff first and I would bet that you will lose your meat.
    You do need to be a licensed outfitter to charge for any kind of packing.