Thread: elk hunt gmu 66

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

elk hunt gmu 66

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on where to hunt elk in unit 66 during third season. Since I'm no longer a spring chicken, I'd proabably be limited to hiking no more than a couple of miles from a road or trail. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This unit has a real mix of country. Peaks of 14K in the southern part and then in the north the country is a lot lower toward Gunnison. the only problem is most of the lower part is private & reservation. A lot depends on the weather. Get a good map (BLM, etc) and look over the areas that are private. There are quite a few roads, again depends on the weather. I would want a good 4x4 truck. Lake City is a good place to start. East of there is a lot of NF land and good country. If you get a chance to do any scouting I would really look over the SE part of the unit. I havn't looked at the southern boundry close enough to know for sure, but I think Creede is about the southern edge. Another good place to stay and scout from.

Hope this helps some. I spend a lot of time 4 wheeling between Lake City and Silverton every summer...awsome country.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the ideas, CC. I appreciate it. I plan on taking a few scouting trips this summer, but the area is so big I wasn't sure where to start.