Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    Thats a nice buck your buddy took CC, hopefully one of these days I'll get drawn for Zone D17. I decided to hunt the San Gorgonio Wilderness in Zone D-14 with my second tag. Ive been busy working OT so I can purchase my backpacking gear!!
    I've always thought about hunting that wilderness area too, you just have to get permits from the Forestry service. My buddys uncle that has been hunting D-14 for 30 years told me he has never got a monster from that area? Have you heard different?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Yea, I know guys that have hunted it and have killed some giants!! The quality has gone down some due to pressure by hunters on horse back, but there are some dandies taken each year. You just have to know where to go, its a big area. I had some other buddies that hiked towards the top from Highway 38 last year and did not even see a deer. It was their first time going into the area and did not really do their home work right. They just looked at a map found some trails and hiked. They did not even ask me for my opinion, oh well... If your ever in the area go to the Forest Station (Mill Creek Ranger Station) on highway 38 just out of Yucaipa, they have a monster mounted in there that was taken by a local hunter in the wilderness. Or I'll try and stop by there some time and take a picture of him and post it on here.

Thanks
    I would like to see a pic of that buck, I pass by the mill creek station all the time. I might go on a hike this coming weekend....if I do I'll stop in and take a look. I would think there should be some monsters over there..... Hows the hunting pressure in the wilderness area(I know it's a huge area) but I mean, is it like everywhere else...on opening day? I would think it wouldn't be because one would to have all the backpackin gear and in good shape to do a hunt in that part of the woods.

Did you see the D-14 record buck taken in 2010, it may have been 2011(I can't remember) anyways herman did the mount.....Next time you see him ask'em about it.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Yea I know about that buck it was taken by a houndsman I know, Richard S. He took the buck below my cabin just off the highway. I believe it scored in the 180's. I have taken some very nice bucks in the same area. Last year was the worst I ever saw, all small bucks never did see anything bigger than a three point.
    Here is a picture of Richard and his Zone D14 buck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muley_richard_sturgis_2009_d14_5x5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	3648
    Last edited by bigshot; 06-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Who cares what he scores that buck is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like those are not just eye guards but he actually has 4 horns? Trophy of a life time forsure

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    Yea I know about that buck it was taken by a houndsman I know, Richard S. He took the buck below my cabin just off the highway. I believe it scored in the 180's. I have taken some very nice bucks in the same area. Last year was the worst I ever saw, all small bucks never did see anything bigger than a three point.
    Here is a picture of Richard and his Zone D14 buck

Name:	muley_richard_sturgis_2009_d14_5x5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	3648
    Yup that's the buck, what a great buck to be taken from southern cali,or anywhere .......I stopped in the Millcreek station the other day and seen that other buck you were talkin about, it would have been a shooter in my book. Just wondering ...who told you it was taken from the wilderness area?
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Who cares what he scores that buck is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like those are not just eye guards but he actually has 4 horns? Trophy of a life time forsure
    I thought 4 horns when I first seen it too....but it's just the ears.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Yup that's the buck, what a great buck to be taken from southern cali,or anywhere .......I stopped in the Millcreek station the other day and seen that other buck you were talkin about, it would have been a shooter in my book. Just wondering ...who told you it was taken from the wilderness area?
    The Ranger that was working on the day I first spotted the mounted buck knows hunter that killed it, forgot the name of the lucky gent. The Ranger then told me and showed me on the map exactly where the buck was taken. The owner of the buck was suppose to be taking it back home here pretty soon. The office only has it temporary on loan for display.
    Last edited by bigshot; 06-20-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    Here is a picture of my sons first buck taken in the same general area Richard took that record book.

Name:	Resampled_2011-10-17_11-34-14_652.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	3654
    Last edited by bigshot; 06-20-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    I thought 4 horns when I first seen it too....but it's just the ears.
    Can see that now that I got home and blew the pic up. He's still an AWESOME buck!!!!!!!!