Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bugling for bulls in wolf-free country

I have a bit of experience rifle hunting elk in wolf country and would never think about seriously trying to use a call. What do you guys think about using elk calls during the early (archery) season in non-wolf country?? And if you do recommend it, what calls do you like?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Huntinguy0120 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    A little off of what your asking. I've never hunted wolves but by your question I would assume that the woves will come to a elk call? Is that a way a guy could hunt wolves by using a elk call?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntinguy0120 View Post
    I have a bit of experience rifle hunting elk in wolf country and would never think about seriously trying to use a call. What do you guys think about using elk calls during the early (archery) season in non-wolf country?? And if you do recommend it, what calls do you like?
    Why wouldn't you use a call to hunt elk in the rut? Wolves or not? Elk may quite down in the presence of wolves but elk are still elk and they still call to each other in the rut.

Anyways, to answer your question, bugles tend to be good locating calls, but using the sweet love song of a cow call is a much better bet to get that bull in range than a challenging bugle. Though it obviously depends on your situation and many factors.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Real life experience.. I told my dad I wanted to hear an elk bugle, shortly after, I heard one.. My dad and I made a stalk where he made a great shotand took the bull.. Just after the shot and only A few hundred yards below, a (very large and unmistakably dark) wolf took off after the cows as they retreated. It was a very awesome but unsettling experience.. I think it's like those walking sticks people use in Yellowstone that have the bells hanging from them to make your presence known.. The locals call them "dinner bells" for grizzly's.. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    On a wilderness hunt to the SE corner of Yellowstone NP in Thorofare last Sept, my guide told me that the bulls were almost not bugleing at all. He said when they did the wolves usually would be there soon. One small group of cows with a single bull we cow called to across a canyon, the bull just grunted several times at our call. Within 5 mins a pack of wolves was there.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pick up a copy of Elk Nuts Playlist, it will explain all about calls and which ones to use in what situation. The bugle and cow call can be great fun in an area free of wolves. Here in Utah they claim there are no wolves, in an area I hunt by the border of Wyoming we had bulls bugling there heads off until we heard the unmistakable sound of wolf howls, that whole drainage went quiet and we never heard a bull bugle the rest of the hunt.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Non-Wolf Country......last time I heard that was back in 94!.......we have been *&%#ed ever since! lol

Non-Wolf or Wolf-Free.....made me chuckle a bit is all. Figures...the guy is from Cali....Ill give him a free pass this time though...lol.

Edited for very piss poor performance in grammer. All corrections made and moving along people.....
    Last edited by wolftalonID; 06-11-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    Pick up a copy of Elk Nuts Playlist, it will explain all about calls and which ones to use in what situation. The bugle and cow call can be great fun in an area free of wolves. Here in Utah they claim there are no wolves, in an area I hunt by the border of Wyoming we had bulls bugling there heads off until we heard the unmistakable sound of wolf howls, that whole drainage went quiet and we never heard a bull bugle the rest of the hunt.
    I have not read the book but it is now ordered, thanks for the reference!