Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Info on Dayton/Wolf WY area

I have a couple of questions about Wolf, WY a little town south of Dayton. Is the road leading into Wolf public access? How big is Wolf and are there any services there? Was thinking of exploring the area above Wolf for mule deer. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Actually its not a town, its a dude ranch called Eatons Dude Ranch. If you google it you should find most of the information you are looking for. They will grant you permission to access the canyon above the ranch. You have to hike quite a ways before you get to forrest service land. Its much easier to gain access from the top off Black Mountain Road. That said The Ranch is an awesome palce to take a tour and has alot of history behind it. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the access info Elkcrazedfrk. Any thoughts on mule deer numbers above the ranch?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You know..I could'nt really give you a great guess. What I can say is the East side of the Big Horns really aren't known for great mule deer bucks..I spend alot of time in the Big Horn mountains and have seen very very few bucks that would go 180 or better. Dont ask me why???? Maybe Mike or Guy Eastman has more info. If your looking for an area to hunt trophy mulies, I dont think the east side of the Bighorns is the place.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Elkcrazedfrk, We're not so much into huge bucks as we are into a quality outdoor experience. I would be happy with a good representative 4x4 or 5x5, we pass on the young forkies. What I'm looking for is an area with respectable deer numbers but without all of the ATVs and mobs of other hunters. Unfortunately being a non-resident we can't go into the wilderness areas without a guide. Could be that place doesn't exist in the Bighorns as they have a fair amount of roads or access.