Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forum Advise mongers

Just a rant here, and my opinion of observation at best.

Is it just me?.....Tell me others have seen this trend and notice the complications that result?

Ok....so a forum member seeks advice. They are on the fence about a new product. Maybe they are struggling with a particular hunting method and need to polish the skills. Maybe they read too many magazines and get caught up in the advertisements and the hype. Either way you paint it they come...and come they do everday!!!!!

So we who know or have life experience give....we give without remorse or worry. We give because we know we too have had similar questions and have found working results. We also know that in giving, that others will also give and have similar or differentiating results to share. This is what sparks great conversation and enlightenment. In fact..... in most "advise" threads, the resulting posts are of much more knowledge to myself than the initial question may have sparked me to think about. Sometimes I dont know so I dont answer and enjoy reading the results of those that do, or pretend to know...either way the result is a great discussion.

For the sake of making us a statistic and just because I dont feel like doing the research, lets just say 87.5872% of the above referenced "advise" seeking posts result in......wait for it.....wait for it..... ARGUING!!!!

The original poster comes back arguing their position!!!!! WAIT HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!!! Did I just say a position?!!!!! Yes friends I did. A position is taken when one fully understands the subject by either research, experience, or both!!! A position is derived from is it not?....so....it made me wonder.....

Why come and ask if you already know? It seems that those that do come to ask and only so in order to find someone else that already agrees with the position the asker has pre post of thread taken......yet they argue when the general knowledge and experience speak otherwise.

Most of the posters not just in this forum, but in any forum that follow this tend to be the younger ones. I admire them for taking the time to request the knowledge of the elders in the field of interest....it boggles my mind however when they ask, listen, and defend an argument stance opposite the advise given....

End Rant......

Feel free to expand this argument....and if you disagree, I will......never mind lol.....
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wolftalon, Yes I see alittle bit of that trend but let me qualify it. I am not on facebook or any other social networking site except this one. I was a new forum member not so long ago and maybe I was guilty of this in my first post and maybe some posts since then. When I was young, Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet so I didn't get a chance to embarrass myself in front the world wide web. I can see that there are some young posters and I can see that there are some posters who are just inexperinced at hunting. We were all at least one of those at one time. Some of the younger posters ( and very common in the youth of this country) read something or have a person tell them something ( teachers ) and they take it as gospel. I think this is getting worse with the internet because wrong info. is everywhere. I think that a person learns to open his mind only after some time ( some never open their mind). Inexperinced hunters are just that and I guess you can't blame them for that. The experience will come with time, hopefully. I just had my first foal and I think the vet got sick of my calls because I'm sure I asked dumb questions, so I guess I can see where it can happen.

But as long as this thread is about ranting, Here is my pet peeve. A new member that floods the forum with original post after post and the threads don't seem to go anywhere and don't have many responses. Some get to be senior members real quick!

That is my .02 cents worth!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Interesting, I never thought about it like that, your thinking go's deeper than just reading a post real quick.

Often everyone dose not agree on a particular subject.....and thats fine. I like to read everyones point and make my own decision from there.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think that is a lot of dots and exclamation points in your original post, WolftalonID.

Are you trying to start a fight or something?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Hey take it easy on us younger guys! Just kidding... I see what you mean, although it's never seemed to get under my skin too much.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cant we all just get along?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Well said Wolftalon.

BKC I sooooo agree with your last paragraph!

BB put up your dukes!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm with you bkc on last paragraph, another thing I usually glance over and not read is a guy asking for info and his post count is 1 with other threads targeted at the area he is looking for. They always end in,"I'm not asking for gps coordinates or honey holes, just a place to start"

This is still the best forum on the web, I believe we do a great job at self regulating and keeping this a positive environment. This forum also holds a broad range of hunting styles, age, experience, knowledge, and personalities. With that we have to accept our differences and and not let something get under our skin. As long as we follow the rules, all will be good!

Si vis pacem para bellum

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Interesting posts. Thought provoking too. I am 70 now and have been big game hunting since I was 12. My boots have traveled lots of miles and I'd like to think I've learned something during this time. I hunt different and have different objectives than when I was young. I really don't have a problem giving advice to someone who asks. Advice, opinions and a#&holes are somewhat alike...everyone has at least one, sometimes more. I am only a gun hunter so a lot of what I have to say only represents that kind of background. One thing I've learned in all these years is that with all this electronic communication, word travels like the speed of light!!! When I used to offshore fish for tuna & marlin in California & Mexico, when a good bite started, everyone knew about it almost immediately. You couldn't keep from spilling the beans and brag a little. Hunting is a lot like this too. But there are some things I just keep to myself now. A good example is a good friend who hunts the California desert for Mulies, he has a few spots he has discovered over the years and won't even tell his best friends where they are. (I posted his picture in the Calif portion with a desert mulie with his face blacked out so no one could recognize him).

There lots of thing we have learned about our passion that can (and should) be shared. My prefered equipment & why, guns & reloads and lots of general information that some of the new (or younger) members don't have. They can use it or not, their choice. But lots of thing don't get out there (at least from me) on some of my favorite spots and a few other things that just have to be learned the hard way.

I should not have answered this post...to damn long winded!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wonder too, if some people want a second opinion on something that they all ready know, only to find out they don't like the answers they get. And instead of letting it go, they have to answer back, causing a debate.
    Shoot STR8