Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just remember: It's only the internet.

As far as the sharing of secret hunting spots is concerned.. I used to duck hunt a place here in Missouri that was awesome.. A few thousand acres of marsh, limited hunting pressure, lots of ducks. Some dude in the Kansas City paper wrote a monster article about it, and over the next few seasons, the pressure started building. Today, the place is but a shell of its former self. Theres roads and parking lots every few feet, and you have to stand in a line and draw a number to see if you get to hunt. All because some people couldnt keep some info to themselves.
    I'm all for sharing info with people, but to announce it to the world seems a little bit ridiculous to me.

Considering the asking for advice portion of the topic: There are quite a few experts in several fields on this forum, from optics wiz-bangs, to ballistics experts.. I personally have learned a ton in the short time I've been here. Anyone that would argue with someone after requesting their input isn't too terribly bright.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    this forum, and others like it are a great way to learn "some" things, however believing everything you read online is foolish. Im with muleys 24/7, I like to read all the responses and hear out all arguments to form my own opinion. Im stuck between the older and younger generations on this, I use the web as ONE source of information, but for my age (27) Im probably behind the times and keep it more simple than most. I think some things can be taught, but the most important lessons have to be learned the hard way, and in hunting that's about putting in time and miles. I think it's wise to use this forum as a resource to sharpen hunting skills, and enjoy conversation amongst other hunters. It never hurts to ask for direction or advice when you are trying to learn a new area, and it's also acceptable not to reply, even if you know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm pretty new here and don't post a whole lot (I don't think) but I read a bunch. I try really hard to remain civil and open minded and generally I'm able to. I see some things that I don't agree with but normally try to understand the other persons perspective and or experience may be different than mine. I joined this forum because although I've been hunting for nearly 50 years I don't have a clue about western hunting and this seems to be the place to find out. If I feel like I have something to offer then I will post it, if not I try to keep my yap shut. There are some members whose posts I like to read simply for entertainment if nothing else and I look for their posts daily. There are as many different ideas about hunting as there are hunters and while I may or may not agree with a particular style or type of hunting I don't have a problem with it as long as it is legal and doesn't infringe on someone else.

I consider myself to be a live and let live type and I go out of my way not to offend other folks and to be considerate of everyone's feelings. If asked for an opinion I will typically offer it unless I think it will "fan the flames" of some ongoing controversy. I think for the most part most of the members here are level headed and like minded and after the same things. That said there are those who obviously are so opinionated that they believe any deviation from their way of doing things is completely wrong and intolerable (one member in particular comes to mind here and by his own admission is no youngster). When this guy pops up and inserts his self righteous opinion I find it really hard to keep from saying "who yanked your chain".

I deal with young people second guessing me on an almost daily basis and I think it comes from the "everybody is a winner" mentality that seems to be so prevalent these days. Last night at work I was telling a fellow about my first time crossing the equator and made the remark that it was unusually cold at 55 degrees when a 20 year old kid popped up and told me that was not unusual at all and in fact I was probably nowhere near the equator and had not really crossed it because it wasn't really where most people thought in the first place. Here is a brat that has never been farther south than Missouri telling me about the equator. This young lad is going to school to be a teacher so what do you think he will be teaching? I've never thought much about the age of posters as a whole but I find myself wondering sometimes.

I was taught to respect my elders as I'm sure many of you were too but I don't think that is very common these days. At times I think a majority of the youth of today are being raised to think only of themselves, a pack of spoiled brats I call the "me generation". I'm not saying that all of them are bad, simply that they don't know any better so they argue when they feel like they know what they are talking about.

I'll try really hard not to argue with the advisor when I ask for advice

How many posts do I need to be a senior member?

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post

How many posts do I need to be a senior member?

Bob
    If you have been hunting for almost 50 years, you already are a senior member! I got my AARP card a few years back and I guess that made me a senior member in society! Your almost there, 23 more posts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys for all the replies!!!!!!!! (!! These two are for you BB lol) !
    Im no youngster these days...depending on who I talk to I guess. I will be 37 shortly. Lived a lifetime and then some, yet still have many in front of me to go. Advise I have to offer, yet I know there is tons more I have yet to ask as I grow older.
    The replies were worth the time it took to post. Made for a few laughs too. lol

Semper Fi
    I hunt because......