Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scouting by air

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

scouting by air

Do you think a fly over would be a good way to scout a new area. Looking at unit 67 without a clue, so I am thinking a flyover would be the best way to get a look at the transition areas. I could do that the end of july.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I've done this before. My bro in law is a pilot and we flew over a couple spots we were scoutting. I recommend it for sure!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    better check the law first...the DOW dont like this type of scouting...im not sure what the law is but do some checking for sure so you dont get in any troble. we dont need any of our fellow hunters getting into any truble

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most states cant say anything about you flying over areas out of season. Its during season that many have laws regarding this very thing. I may be mistaken, and taking this from only hearing it on several shows, but Alaska wont let you hunt the same day you fly? Idaho wont let you scout by air during season, especially relaying information to the ground via air.
    I plan on doing several "crosscountry" flights this summer. Might coincidentally plan them over some select areas that I know offer GREAT flying views!! All of coarse pre season mind you.

Flying doors off in a helicopter also allows for some awesome photo ops if you have a good photographer along or a second pilot that can hold the controls while taking pics!!

One thing to pay attention to is how close you are over animal refuges. Rules of flight are more restrictive over them. Also find out who owns or operates the land and call them to coordinate your flight time with them.(ie forest service, BLM, Dept of Indian Affairs, private land owners, etc.) If their is anything going on in that area they will let you know ahead of time to avoid any issues. Just let them know your wanting to do some low level recon and photo flights of the area. Your pilot your flying with will know how to set up anything like that as well.

Edited to add information below

Here is an article about the rules and concerns of the Colorado DOW. It will probably answer any questions you may have about air scouting. http://www.realaspen.com/article/212/Colorado-Division-of-Wildlife-Harassing-big-game-with-aircraft-is-illegal-unethical
    I
    ts legal in Colorado given a vey specific set of rules.
    Last edited by wolftalonID; 06-15-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    I hunt because......

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    How is it better than Google Earth, or the mapit on the DOW site? You can also print out those maps.

You need to look fast, and remember it on a fly over.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What kind of tag did ya draw ??? (deer/elk) or are you checking it out for
    next year ???

Jacks Cabin Colorado (betweeen Gunnison and Crested Butte )
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    If your 67 3rd for deer don't waste your money flying over that unit. Just get some chains for your truck or a ATV and start covering ground. You have 9 days and I believe you will find a 180 inch muley.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Old Hunter....no map program shows the animals like a fly over will. Also a pilot usually has a GPS installed and can mark coordinates of interest for you. Then when you go home you can look up the coordinates and develope a plan of attack to hunt by. GE is a great way to plan a hunt with for sure though. Maybe someday they will upload radio collared animal locations too!! lol.
    I hunt because......

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe you can fly over my area, and find some elk for me? Hiking is going to wear me out.

Kidding of course. I'll find them, and the hiking keeps me young.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Depends on when you hunt Old Hunter. I didn't mention Mysterous Lake by accident, that seems to be a gathering point at migration time. I doubt you hunt across the pass anyway. Your pictures posted gave me the fever.
    Gatheringsheds, I am working on the Grand Cherokee, Cooper tires, 4" lift, 242 transfer case, v-8, and chains. There is more private property in that unit than I had expected.
    Looks like all the over 70 gang will have a good shot at a good hunt this year. My local game warden in Co has been a huge help for me even though I won't be hunting in his unit this year. He gave me some ideas for next year to be able to hunt something if health keeps improving. Game Warden told me that if I shoot the first legal buck I find, I will probably never kill a trophy buck.