Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scouting by air

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've gotten to know my local warden too. Nice guy, and very helpful. Always will to answer questions. He gives me some slack too. He knows i'm an old guy, and packing out an animal is hard on me. Were suppose to bring out the antlers along with proof of sex. I'm not a trophy hunter, and have no interest in antlers. So, I asked him if I need to bring out the antlers. He said to not worry about it, because he could judge the age by the testicle. Not sure that's true, but I appreciated it. He knows I would shoot anything illegal.

I don't hunt over the pass, but I did come close to hunting unit 55 this year. It's a little too far to come over every night. Which I like to do. Nothing like a hot shower and my bed to get ready for the next day. Plus I need to take care of my dog.

Your Jeep sounds good. You probably saw my TJ when I posted it. I love Jeeps. Yours has a lot more room than mine, but mine is ok for the way I hunt, and the back has plenty of room for my gear, and a boned out elk.

I think i'll go back up for some more scouting tomorrow, and see what I can find.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "It's a little too far to come over every night."

I was wondering how long it would take to get back to Buena Vista from 55? Not that far in terms of distance, but I don't really have a sense of what kind of time a trip like that takes in the mountains.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    It would depend on where you were in the unit. Unit 55 is huge with some real good wilderness areas. I can get to the Reservoir in 40 minutes. Which is the same amount of time to get what I showed in my pictures in 481. The problem is, how long will it be to get to where you're hunting in 55? Camping would make more sense.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dads a pilot and when ever we fly we fly over our hunting areas or new areas we want to check out. Its extremely helpful. IMO its far better than google earth because your actually there and not looking at a computer screen, and you can see quite a few animals. Cant tell you how many times we've been on a trip and flown over some great looking country that I had never thought of before and marked it on the map, and then went about researching that area, and are now my honey holes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "Camping would make more sense."
    Agreed. Where ever we end up, we'll be camping anyway, so might as well be close. Just trying to get a sense of things out there--haven't been out west in a long time, and we're just starting to make plans. Thanks.