Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    4,367
    Thanks
    1,037
    Thanked 609 Times in 438 Posts
    Congratulations
    164
    Congratulated 68 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Here is what im pondering ikic. Im not much of a fridge guy by trade.. Kinda like a smoker but bass ackwards. If i get a small styrofoam box to place inside the cooler. Fill it with dry ice and inderectly cool the space with dry ice. Without having to use water ice and avioding alot of mess. It makes sence in my mind but so do alot of things most dont agree with. Whattya think?
    Sounds like a test to me. Not sure if it will work. It might be cold were the cooler of ice is placed in the big chest. So I would say try to put it in the center and drop a thermometer in it and see what happens. Good idea

  2. #32
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    4,367
    Thanks
    1,037
    Thanked 609 Times in 438 Posts
    Congratulations
    164
    Congratulated 68 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    I think that looks sick! Maybe a patend should be considered. Maybe A tool box with a ice chest in the bottom?
    Last edited by Ikeepitcold; 06-22-2012 at 10:19 PM.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,216
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 158 Times in 104 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I rhino lined the piss out of the inside so it doubled as both. I was thinkin about building a removable wall in the center to seperate the areas. Ive got 10 lbs of dry ice in the center ill let you know if the mountains turn blue. .
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  4. #34
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    4,367
    Thanks
    1,037
    Thanked 609 Times in 438 Posts
    Congratulations
    164
    Congratulated 68 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    I rhino lined the piss out of the inside so it doubled as both. I was thinkin about building a removable wall in the center to seperate the areas. Ive got 10 lbs of dry ice in the center ill let you know if the mountains turn blue. .
    Hahhaha love the blue mountains! I think the health dept should just look for the blue and say to hell with the thermometers!!

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The high plains of Colorado
    Posts
    597
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 65 Times in 59 Posts
    Congratulations
    7
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Here is what im pondering ikic. Im not much of a fridge guy by trade.. Kinda like a smoker but bass ackwards. If i get a small styrofoam box to place inside the cooler. Fill it with dry ice and inderectly cool the space with dry ice. Without having to use water ice and avioding alot of mess. It makes sence in my mind but so do alot of things most dont agree with. Whattya think?
    Hardstalk, This is what I have found out about dry ice. When it sublimates ( gasses coming off the dry ice when it is exposed to the atmosphere) the gases are at abot 90 below zero. This would keep it plenty cold on the inside of your cooler but the gases produced will taint the flavor of whats inside. I've read that people who go on multiday raft trips that use dry ice say that the food starts to take on the smell and flavor of dry ice. I would think that you would not want to take the chances of having a whole elk or deer or ? taste that way. If you store the dry ice in a seperate container within the cooler that is vented so the gases can cool the rest of the cooler and the ice stored inside, then when all your dry ice is sublimated you still have bagged ice that is at 90 degrees below zero. Now the ice starts to warm but it takes a couple of days untill it gets to 32 degrees when the ice actually starts to melt. I plan on doing this and when I put my deer or elk in it I will make sure there is no dry ice in the cooler. The other tip I read was if you still have dry ice when you start to put your game in it you can put the dry ice in a smaller cooler and rotate regular ice from the big cooler to the small cooler to refreeze it. I don't know if this makes sense but that is what I am going to try this year. What are your thoughts IKIC ?

  6. #36
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    4,367
    Thanks
    1,037
    Thanked 609 Times in 438 Posts
    Congratulations
    164
    Congratulated 68 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Hardstalk, This is what I have found out about dry ice. When it sublimates ( gasses coming off the dry ice when it is exposed to the atmosphere) the gases are at abot 90 below zero. This would keep it plenty cold on the inside of your cooler but the gases produced will taint the flavor of whats inside. I've read that people who go on multiday raft trips that use dry ice say that the food starts to take on the smell and flavor of dry ice. I would think that you would not want to take the chances of having a whole elk or deer or ? taste that way. If you store the dry ice in a seperate container within the cooler that is vented so the gases can cool the rest of the coo


    ler and the ice stored inside, then when all your dry ice is sublimated you still have bagged ice that is at 90 degrees below zero. Now the ice starts to warm but it takes a couple of days untill it gets to 32 degrees when the ice actually starts to melt. I plan on doing this and when I put my deer or elk in it I will make sure there is no dry ice in the cooler. The other tip I read was if you still have dry ice when you start to put your game in it you can put the dry ice in a smaller cooler and rotate regular ice from the big cooler to the small cooler to refreeze it. I don't know if this makes sense but that is what I am going to try this year. What are your thoughts IKIC ?


    That does make sense to me. Like I said before I use both and don't ever remember have a bad taste or odor.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,587
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 430 Times in 324 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Been reading this thread with a lot of interest. Now I know why all the fish I used to bring back from Baja tasted like the dry ice smelled. Learn somthing new everyday!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,216
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 158 Times in 104 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Not overly impressed with my idea. Mountains are not blue and the case of water was right at room tempature this a.m It is a very large cooler so it may work but will take alot more than 10 lbs. come season time i think i will go with both dry and wet. It will take some experimenting to keep it cold for 10-12 days.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  9. #39
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    4,367
    Thanks
    1,037
    Thanked 609 Times in 438 Posts
    Congratulations
    164
    Congratulated 68 Times in 8 Posts
    Keep us informed on the results of your experiments. I think your on the rite track. Good luck!

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 154 Times in 116 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Not overly impressed with my idea. Mountains are not blue and the case of water was right at room tempature this a.m It is a very large cooler so it may work but will take alot more than 10 lbs. come season time i think i will go with both dry and wet. It will take some experimenting to keep it cold for 10-12 days.
    Hardstalk, I'm loving your cooler, can I make a suggestion? The rhino lining is a great idea, maybe if you paint it white over the top though your ice will last longer. Black absorbs heat while white reflects it.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Cabelas Alaskan Guide 60 qt Cooler
    By arwaterfowler in forum Other
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
  2. Cooler Space for Elk
    By Murdy in forum Other
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •