Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another Cooler Question

Was at Costco the other day. Saw an Igloo brand 150 qt cooler for $90. Claimed to be a 7 day cooler -- I don't really believe that. But, I'll never spend $300 -$400 on a cooler (sorry Yeti), at least unless I absolutely have to. The question: How seriously do you take the number of day claims? While I would not take them literally, I wonder whether a 7 day is significanly better than a 5 or 6 day? And, do you think you have to spend $300+ to get an acceptable cooler? Again, I don't, but I've never been in a position where I had to store game for several days before getting it to a freezer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the igloo. I bought the $500 yeti. Took the yeti On a 3 day pronghorn hunt. Ice was melted down to half in 2 days. Returned the yeti. Still have the igloo and will continue to use it. For the cost of the yeti not worth it at all IMO. Another thing to consider and I didn't even think about it till I left camp for the first day is theft. Someone could roll by my camp and see the Yeti and use the opertunity to steal it. Everyone knows the yeti name and how spendy they are. I would hope no one would but worse things have happen. I'll stick to the Igloo that performes good enough for me for $100

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good point about the theft issue, not the first thing I though of either, but I wouldn't want to leave a $500 piece of equipment unattended.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Amazon has the 150 qt Igloo for $80 with free shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have always wanted a good cooler. Bears can be an issue where I hunt, although I have yet to have had a problem in 6 seasons now. I understand the pinch you feel with a yetis price for sure. I personally have never used a cooler to store meat in on a hunt. If its kept cool, (shady areas, near water helps too), it will hold fine. Consider it the aging time anyway.
    I usually use two coolers while on a week hunt. I put drinks and things I only want cold in one with regular ice. In the other one, the larger one, I put extra bag of ice, all the goods I want frozen, and then pack it with Dry Ice. The Dry Ice keeps the cooler rock hard frozen for three plus days if I keep it shaded and protected from the sun. The extra bag of ice is used in it to keep the rest of the week or in the refrig cooler as needed.
    My coolers I use are igloo brand and coleman brand and they have done well for the time I have had them. I have been considering the coolers that are sportsmans warehouse labeled as replacements when I can. They are cheaper than Yeti, and built tough as nails.

Just some input to consider
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Marine Moeller coolers........built exactly like Yeti but much cheaper. I had plenty of ice in mine after 9 days of hunting in temps that got into the 80's.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I thought this was pretty helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4...layer_embedded From what I remember the coleman kept ice the longest.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got the 65 quart Yeti. Don't know how good it is yet but have high expectations. Looking forward to using it this fall.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dito View Post
    I thought this was pretty helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4...layer_embedded From what I remember the coleman kept ice the longest.
    Thanks for the link, it good to see the Colemans I use do good in a controlled setting against the Yeti. I too was thinking about buying a Yeti, but the fear of theft was too great. Hunter ethics are not as good as they once were.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Rather then spend the money on a Yeti, i am going to take the DIY approach. I am going to try to build a large 200qt ice box for my elk hunt this year since I will be traveling cross country. It will be a little too heavy for everyday use, but I dont plan on moving it around much once it is in the back of the truck and filled up. Here is the link to how I want to build it...

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/buildin...ient-icebox-2/

Don't let the article fool you, because their products are very expensive, but I am sure I can do it for less than 1/2 the cost of a yeti. Also, I know some people in the boat building business here locally so I hope to get a discount on the fiberglass epoxy. Will let you guys know how it goes once I get the project underway.