Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pintos on pecos ridge.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	3729
    great country, rock-footed pintos

Thanks
    Wish I were going back this year, but failed to draw. Will instead be headed in the opposite direction this fall. Of all places..........New Hampshire? Thought I would be shut out of any tags anywhere this year before beating 1% draw odds and lucking out with a bull moose tag. As far as the Pecos, I will miss it. I will rely on your guys updates and photos to get me through September. Will be rooting for you guys to score big.

Thanks
    My buddy and I were fortunate enough to draw the same tag Bullhonkey. We're really looking forward to the hunt. Can't beat those high elevation hunts. I talked to an elk biologist for NM and he said the elk look good in 45. Think Zia's pics back that up. Thanks for posting up the pics. Gives us some extra motivation. Btw, for you locals or regulars to the Pecos, whats a respectable bull for unit 45? I'm by no means a trophy hunter but I like to know where to set my expectations. Also, any recommended packers? We plan on hiking in and out but would like to prepare ahead just in case we get in a bind. If I can get out there, I might do a three or four day scouting trip towards the end of August. If I do, I'll let you know what we find.

Thanks
    Just got back from another salting trip, packed 400# . The gps said 29 miles, highest elevation 12,614 feet (last trip it was 12,640 feet). Tired, beat-up horses and rider...I will try to post some pictures soon. Saw quite a few elk, not nearly as many as last trip but they do look like they are doing well. If I had a tag I would shoot most any legal bull, too many things can happen..weather etc. I thought Zims archery bull last year was a tremendous bull for the unit.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	3758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	3759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	3760

Sorry no elk pictures this trip, saw 100-120 but they were lower in the bowls below timberline.

Thanks
    Thanks Zia for the updates and especially the pics!! Definitely got my heart pumping!! How has the rainfall been this year up there? Thanks again for the posts and comments. Good luck to all on their hunts this year! Got a MN bear tag to try and fill this September then my focus will be on one of those beautiful bulls and that beautiful country...

Thanks
    Zia, have you seen any decent bucks on your trips? My dad, father-in-law and myself have deer tags in the area.

Thanks
    bern I dont believe I have seen a single deer on those loops, maybe they are lower or I am missing them

Thanks
    Hey Zia, what's the cell service like up there? I'm sure it's horrible if not non-existent back in the wilderness but how is it near Cowles or off of HW 63? Reason I ask is I plan on hiking in but want to have a packer on standby just in case I end up too deep. While on that topic, you have any recommendations on some reliable packers?

Thanks
    ntspdy, my cell phone is pretty spotty once I get in the canyon above Pecos, I do get some coverage on top of and west of Trail Riders and S.Truchas where I can see Espanola from altitude. On the east side I dont get any coverage which is good. You might call Bear Creek adventures or Ley's at the Tererro general store to see if they will pack you or know anybody that might.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zia For This Useful Post:

ntspdy (07-28-2012)