View Poll Results: CO trophy elk quality?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's near the bottom as trophy elk states go

24 64.86%
  • No, it's a great trophy elk state

13 35.14%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Wow, I guess in 14 years of elk hunting you must have acquired some equipment, So what do you have for sale? pm me.
    I dont know how to PM but, most of it is sitting next to my smashed rifle and scope in unit 54. But I do have a nice set of zeiss binoculars, a lazer range finder, unfired Traditions .50 cal muzzloader still new in the box, a 2008 BowTech 70 lb. compound bow (all assy. speced out by John Schaffer of Minneapolis MN). Tell me how to send you a pm.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miktwalker View Post
    I dont know how to PM but, most of it is sitting next to my smashed rifle and scope in unit 54. But I do have a nice set of zeiss binoculars, a lazer range finder, unfired Traditions .50 cal muzzloader still new in the box, a 2008 BowTech 70 lb. compound bow (all assy. speced out by John Schaffer of Minneapolis MN). Tell me how to send you a pm.
    Click on my screen name and click on private message amd then just type at your leisure.

Thanks
    I am a resident of Colordo and I have many complaints about elk hunting in the state. Especially in the souther part of the state. I could go on with this topic forever, but i'll try to keep it short. First off I love elk hunting, and its one of my favorite things to do. But the problem with CO is that the DOW and the sate is so money hungry its sad. The quality of elk in the units I hunt is pitiful. There is a bull to cow ratio of 12:100, and this is rediculous because it it prime elk habitat. The unit borders New Mexico units 4 and 52, and the quality of elk there is amazing compared to our units. Another problem with Colorado is the amount of hunting tags they give out each year. Unlimited archery, draw muzzleloader, Draw 1st season, OTC res and non res 2nd and 3rd season, draw 4th season, and a Dec. cow hunt. WOW!! to me that many seasons is rediculous, and it shows in Colorado the quality of elk because of it. The DOW estimateds 7800 elk in the units i'm referring too, and being someone who spends a great amount of time in the mountains year round, and especially in June-Nov. I just don't agree with this because I do not see many elk when I'm out and about. Plus they contraindicate themselves because one page says 7800 and another link says an average of 6500, to me 1300 is a big difference. The bottom line is Colorado elk hunting is doing down hill, and its sad because it should not be this way. I see other states who really care about there elk populations and as far as i'm concerned CO really doesn't care. I hate to be this way, I'd rather like to sit here and talk great about elk hunting here, but its just not the case.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miktwalker View Post
    I'm glad you're alive, if I hunted 54 the last 5 years in a row, I might have driven off monarch pass on the way back east.

Thanks
    why is that?

Thanks
    I must have got really lucky. hunted elk once in Co and got a bull. Sounds like I need to stop at that.

Thanks
    From what I've looked at, aren't the success rates for a lot of the otc units in CO between 15-20%? Isn't that very consistent with other otc units in different states?

Also, what about the elk populations in some of the low, 1-3 point units? Romo, or anyone else for that matter, what do you think about the elk populations in those low draw units? And if you had to recommend one, any suggestions? My brother in law and I will have 2 points next year and have been researching units with a decent population of animals. Not necessarily big bulls but just good quantity. I have a few ideas but am always open to new suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by romo343 View Post
    why is that?
    It is the only OTC unit in the state where the DOW has had to put a cap on the amount of OTC licenses sold.

Banned
    Thanks
    I found the answer. After 61 years of hunting elk and muley's. I'm retired from hunting. I had a good run, and have a million memories.

I'll be living out the rest of my years fly fishing the creeks in the same mountains I hunted for so many years. I'll be doing it without all the hunters though, and that's a good thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    It is the only OTC unit in the state where the DOW has had to put a cap on the amount of OTC licenses sold.
    This does not make sense. I don't know any unit that has a cap on otc license, You either can hunt the unit with the tag or you cant. ???????