Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 7 Posts

How to use thermals to my advantage while hunting?

I have been bowhunting for a little while and this will be my 4th year. I have no problem getting up and very close to game but I have been hearing about thermals on the hunting shows. First of all can I ask what they are and how can I use it to my advantage this year? Thanks and good luck to all this year!
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    I have been bowhunting for a little while and this will be my 4th year. I have no problem getting up and very close to game but I have been hearing about thermals on the hunting shows. First of all can I ask what they are and how can I use it to my advantage this year? Thanks and good luck to all this year!
    Ok dude. With all of your knowlage of bow hunting I'm very surprised you know know this!

Alright here it goes! Everyone sit down before you read this and pay Attention!!!!

Thermals are best used when it's cold outside! Use the Polar Weight when it's REAL cold and a light weight when not so much. Oh and you should get the RED ones with the flap on the butt so when you stick that monster buck at 80 yards you won't Shizz yourself!

Hope this helps! :-)

So easy I can't help it B-)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Ok dude. With all of your knowlage of bow hunting I'm very surprised you know know this!

Alright here it goes! Everyone sit down before you read this and pay Attention!!!!

Thermals are best used when it's cold outside! Use the Polar Weight when it's REAL cold and a light weight when not so much. Oh and you should get the RED ones with the flap on the butt so when you stick that monster buck at 80 yards you won't Shizz yourself!

Haha, at first I was like what the f? and then I got it? That's funny

To the OP, I think nothing good can come from a thermal, when the wind swirls.....how would you be able to use that to your advantage?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Just pullin your chain dude!

I'm sure you will get some very USEFULL info from someone that can answer your question better then myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post

That is funny! I was hoping no one would catch it! Your a sharp guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Haha, at first I was like what the f? and then I got it? That's funny

To the OP, I think nothing good can come from a thermal, when the wind swirls.....how would you be able to use that to your advantage?
    Well I hear all the big hunting guys like the eastmans say it so I thought I was missing something and thought it was a technique to better my odds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You need to take a weather class my friend. It is very informative in tons of ways...

Ikic, that's some funny stuff right there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In "Elk Hunting the West" by Mike Eastman describes thermals. My understanding is that as the cold air meets with warm air creates the dreaded swirling wind. This happens mainly in the morning and afternoons. I have had my share of stalks busted by swirling wind. I have heard that swirling wind can work for your advantage by keeping the animal guessing where you real are but I have had only negative experiences with swirling wind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    You need to take a weather class my friend. It is very informative in tons of ways...

Ikic, that's some funny stuff right there.
    Where would I take one if I could?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    cold air sinks warm air rises. depending on terrain and a natural breeze it will b diff. calm wind there wont be much swirlling going on unless it goes from 35 to 60 digrees in a couple minutes, which doesnt happen. thermals happen every morning and night with the sun. in steep forested terrain ull actualy feel it. good luck man.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post: