Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

aim low and high?

ok, im going to swallow my pride on this but i think its a question alot of hunters ask them selves and friends a few tim each year. when im shooting down a steep slope or up a steep slope is my bullet going to rise or drop? i missed a deer last year with my 338 from 50yards, standin still and it was above me at a very steep angle. i dont miss, i take my time and make sure everything is right, what happened? it was a nice 4x fyi, 170sh. wasnt cool. 338 was sighted in at 100 for that hunt if that means anything.

Banned
    Thanks
    Aim low for up and down slopes.

Thanks
    thank you. makes sense!

Thanks
    How steep of angle? I wouldn't think it would make a difference at 50 yards.

What's the load info for that 338?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    How steep of angle? I wouldn't think it would make a difference at 50 yards.
    I'm pretty sure it makes a difference because I did the same thing a couple years back with my .300 WBY , It was the same scenario..about a 50 yard shot down hill at about an 60 degree angle. I fired off 3 rounds and missed every time the buck didn't even move till I was done, I couldn't belive it! After that trip, I took my gun to the range and it was dead on off the bench.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    i was elk hunting and the 338 was hot with 225. also it was my first time hunting with that gun. it was 50-60angle. blasted a cow with the same load at 100 and her cud chewing days were over fast, it was a flat shot. ive hunted with my 270 since i was 12 (31now) and never had that prob. guess i should hit the range and practice slope shots to see in person. i hte shooting two dollar a shot practice shots though

Thanks
    Yea, those rounds anit cheap.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    No offense, but it sounds like you haven't shot the gun enough. What kind of groups are you getting at 100?

Also, how are you guys measuring these angles? Where I hunt bear, it's a confirmed 30 degree angle, 230 yard shot to the bait. Looks A LOT steeper than it actually is and if I didn't know any better I'd hold too low and most likely miss. I figured it out before I ever had a shot opportunity and found the difference is only an inch.

100 yard zero, 50 yard shot on a deer... that's a very big target at point blank range. I still don't think angle would throw the shot off that bad. But, maybe it would if the angle really was 60 degrees.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Check out another thread on 'General Hunting" titled "Incline and decline shots" dated 05/01/2012 (http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...-Decline-Shots) we covered this then.

Btw, doesn't matter if its incline or decline, aim as if the distance is shorter. The gravity effect on the bullet is based on actual distance not distance to the target. There's a graph I put together there that explains it better. Easier to explain on a graph rather than in words.

Thanks
    Your point of aim should be whatever the horizontal distance to the target is. On a 50 yard shot if you were holding for the center of the heart/lung area I would think you should still make a killing shot. I'm pretty sure I can reload a .338 WM for quite a bit less than $2.00 a shot. I'm going on the assumption that you are shooting handloads since you said " hot with 225". If you don't hand load you should be able to find something less expensive to practice with.

Bob