Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ID_MW View Post
    The guy was talking about a wolf "trotting at him," so, yeah I am serious. My response was based on a practical calculus, not moral. Not trying to ruffle feathers, but have you even seen a wolf? The situation implies defensive rationale. Enough said. Give me a break dude.
    I agree with you. Not sure what Doc's angle is on this... Why would wait for a "humane" shot on a wolf that's coming at you and wanting to rip your face off?

Yes, wolf attacks aren't all that common but they do happen. Not too long ago a guy was attacked in Yellowstone but the park is keeping it hush hush.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would shoot it with the pistol when it got inside 30 yards. That being said, we as hunters are far more likely to be attacked by a rutting (deer, elk, moose) than by a single wolf. Keep the wolf numbers under control, but don't hate him for who he is.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I will tell you what my angle is, Idaho said."are you really looking for a humane shot on a wolf anyways??"

My answer is yes. On the self defense thing I totally agree, shoot to stop however no one one here am argue a wolf, a bear, lion, or an unarmed human is a threat to life outside of 20yds.

So if you are shooting at any animal outside of that range, I think you owe it to the animal to attempt an ethical shot, even a wolf because it is not a self defense situation.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd wrap a bunch of mini bar glass bottles between my fingers, then wrap it shut in a fist with electrical tape, then break the bottles, (like in "the grey") haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    I'd wrap a bunch of mini bar glass bottles between my fingers, then wrap it shut in a fist with electrical tape, then break the bottles, (like in "the grey") haha.
    Most depressing movie I have ever seen.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I diagree on the 20 yards, that is too close. The comfort zone for two different bear encounters was 35 yds and even at that I knew how quick either of those bear could get to me. I was unarmed both times but never worried about either bear coming closer, as a matter of fact the bear in the wide open I slowly advance on until he reluctantly started to move away. I shouted at him to get his attention and when he looked at me I faded back and he returned to his spot by a stream. It was really obvious about the distance he required and at 20 yards you couldnt draw a holstered pistol fast enough to help. IMO Well, CC probably could. I will try to post a pic of the last encounter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont know about at what distance is an ethical decision to wait on to take a shot. My dog is 45lbs. She can move 20 yards faster than I can move 2 feet. She can beat me inside from across the back yard before I can turn, and get into a door. The few wolves here in Idaho I have seen in person in the wild were boardering 150lbs. Their leg lengths alone probably could bound 10 yards or better.
    I have spent years in these Idaho woods and even though their sign is rampant, have but only seen a few, heard many more. I still wont go out without a gun on my side.
    In that same scenario. If I was faced with the solo hunt and a wolf, its the gun for sure. If I am with a friend, then as long as one of us has a bead on it, why not try the bow.
    However in that lady up norths case, she never had time to think about what weapon she prefered. It was a split second decision. For those who have been there, instinct takes over faster than you can understand unless you too have had it happen.

The day you stand up and realize that these Idaho wolves are going to be looking you square in the chest,(eyes if your really short), you will then understand they are no game to be toyed with in their backyard. To each their own, however I will highfive anyone who takes one out!
    GL with your hunts this year young VF! Always hunt smart and hunt safe.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I will tell you what my angle is, Idaho said."are you really looking for a humane shot on a wolf anyways??"

My answer is yes. On the self defense thing I totally agree, shoot to stop however no one one here am argue a wolf, a bear, lion, or an unarmed human is a threat to life outside of 20yds.

So if you are shooting at any animal outside of that range, I think you owe it to the animal to attempt an ethical shot, even a wolf because it is not a self defense situation.
    It would be ridiculous to wait for it to get inside 20 yards. Doesn't matter: wolf, bear, lion... they would all be on you in the blink of an eye.

While you're thinking about ethics, that animal is thinking about ripping your face off.

I would definitely start shooting from 70 yards away because I wouldn't be able to empty my gun by the time it got to me anyway.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Without hesitation, I empty my gun, shoot it with the bow, then slice his throat with my knife. You say ethics when the animal is coming in for the kill, I say your mentally challenged.