Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts

What would you do?

You have been hiking for a few hours. You are a couple miles from camp. You are hunting in a wilderness area in Idaho. You are hunting bull elk with a bow in wolf infested country. You have a pistol by your side on your hip. A few minutes later you come to a opening in a trees about 50 yards wide and about 150 yards long. There is a big white, male wolf staring right at you. You have practiced with your bow out to 100 yards for practice. The wolf starts trotting at you. Do you try and whack him with a arrow at around 80 yards and then go for your pistol or do you wait for him to get closer before you do anything. You know he is coming at you and it is going to be sketchy.
    Don't say I wouldn't be bowhunting but pretend you are. I would let him get to about 70, see what he does and maybe shoot a arrow and then get the pistol ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess it would depend on the wolf, if you are talking about a defensive situation I would wait until he got within powder burn distance (literally) and shoot him with the pistol. I think the likelihood of being attacked by a single wolf is pretty remote, the best use of the bow would be in your non gun hand to keep from getting a wolf bite while lining up your killing shot. If you are going to claim self defense against an animal that the bunny huggers love more than their own kids then you should be able to prove it beyond any doubt. If on the other hand you have a wolf tag in your pocket wait for a shot you are comfortable with and take it if you get it. Even a wolf deserves to be killed cleanly!

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Depends on how proficient you are with the pistol. If I was good (and I am!), then SSS! (for those of you who don't know...shoot, shovel, shutup)
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I guess it would depend on the wolf, if you are talking about a defensive situation I would wait until he got within powder burn distance (literally) and shoot him with the pistol. I think the likelihood of being attacked by a single wolf is pretty remote, the best use of the bow would be in your non gun hand to keep from getting a wolf bite while lining up your killing shot. If you are going to claim self defense against an animal that the bunny huggers love more than their own kids then you should be able to prove it beyond any doubt. If on the other hand you have a wolf tag in your pocket wait for a shot you are comfortable with and take it if you get it. Even a wolf deserves to be killed cleanly!

Bob
    He is coming after you! There is no stopping him, he is going right at you. The reason I bring this up is I read a article that someone had to make this decision in self defense. It is a defensive question about life or death.

2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd throw away the bow and fling some lead.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    He is coming after you! There is no stopping him, he is going right at you. It is a defensive question about life or death.
    If this is the case, than I like my chances. " Go ahead Make my day" I choose my life and it's death

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    He is coming after you! There is no stopping him, he is going right at you. The reason I bring this up is I read a article that someone had to make this decision in self defense. It is a defensive question about life or death.

At 70 yards it is not a defensive decision, a single wolf is not a life or death decision if you see him coming and keep your head . You have a gun and presumably know how to shoot it, there is no reason to start shooting until the wolf is within a few feet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You should have a wolf tag in your pocket if you are hunting in Idaho; let it rip- are you really looking for a humane shot on a wolf anyways?? No need to SSS that way, tear him up and post it the forum. My guess is you will have wear gloves for all the high-fives you will get.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ID_MW View Post
    You should have a wolf tag in your pocket if you are hunting in Idaho; let it rip- are you really looking for a humane shot on a wolf anyways?? No need to SSS that way, tear him up and post it the forum. My guess is you will have wear gloves for all the high-fives you will get.
    Yes you are always looking for a humane shot. Are you serious?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    People will say, "why did you shoot it 6 times?" and you will say, "because when I pulled the trigger a 7th time the gun just went 'click'"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Huntinguy0120 For This Useful Post: