Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 149 Times in 130 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts

    What would you do?

    You have been hiking for a few hours. You are a couple miles from camp. You are hunting in a wilderness area in Idaho. You are hunting bull elk with a bow in wolf infested country. You have a pistol by your side on your hip. A few minutes later you come to a opening in a trees about 50 yards wide and about 150 yards long. There is a big white, male wolf staring right at you. You have practiced with your bow out to 100 yards for practice. The wolf starts trotting at you. Do you try and whack him with a arrow at around 80 yards and then go for your pistol or do you wait for him to get closer before you do anything. You know he is coming at you and it is going to be sketchy.
    Don't say I wouldn't be bowhunting but pretend you are. I would let him get to about 70, see what he does and maybe shoot a arrow and then get the pistol ready.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

    AKA: Velvet Feather

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Missouri Ozarks
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess it would depend on the wolf, if you are talking about a defensive situation I would wait until he got within powder burn distance (literally) and shoot him with the pistol. I think the likelihood of being attacked by a single wolf is pretty remote, the best use of the bow would be in your non gun hand to keep from getting a wolf bite while lining up your killing shot. If you are going to claim self defense against an animal that the bunny huggers love more than their own kids then you should be able to prove it beyond any doubt. If on the other hand you have a wolf tag in your pocket wait for a shot you are comfortable with and take it if you get it. Even a wolf deserves to be killed cleanly!

    Bob

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 347 Times in 268 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Depends on how proficient you are with the pistol. If I was good (and I am!), then SSS! (for those of you who don't know...shoot, shovel, shutup)
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 149 Times in 130 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I guess it would depend on the wolf, if you are talking about a defensive situation I would wait until he got within powder burn distance (literally) and shoot him with the pistol. I think the likelihood of being attacked by a single wolf is pretty remote, the best use of the bow would be in your non gun hand to keep from getting a wolf bite while lining up your killing shot. If you are going to claim self defense against an animal that the bunny huggers love more than their own kids then you should be able to prove it beyond any doubt. If on the other hand you have a wolf tag in your pocket wait for a shot you are comfortable with and take it if you get it. Even a wolf deserves to be killed cleanly!

    Bob
    He is coming after you! There is no stopping him, he is going right at you. The reason I bring this up is I read a article that someone had to make this decision in self defense. It is a defensive question about life or death.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

    AKA: Velvet Feather

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    924
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 42 Times in 35 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd throw away the bow and fling some lead.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The high plains of Colorado
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 58 Times in 52 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    He is coming after you! There is no stopping him, he is going right at you. It is a defensive question about life or death.
    If this is the case, than I like my chances. " Go ahead Make my day" I choose my life and it's death

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Missouri Ozarks
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    He is coming after you! There is no stopping him, he is going right at you. The reason I bring this up is I read a article that someone had to make this decision in self defense. It is a defensive question about life or death.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At 70 yards it is not a defensive decision, a single wolf is not a life or death decision if you see him coming and keep your head . You have a gun and presumably know how to shoot it, there is no reason to start shooting until the wolf is within a few feet.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central ID
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You should have a wolf tag in your pocket if you are hunting in Idaho; let it rip- are you really looking for a humane shot on a wolf anyways?? No need to SSS that way, tear him up and post it the forum. My guess is you will have wear gloves for all the high-fives you will get.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    2,049
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 137 Times in 102 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ID_MW View Post
    You should have a wolf tag in your pocket if you are hunting in Idaho; let it rip- are you really looking for a humane shot on a wolf anyways?? No need to SSS that way, tear him up and post it the forum. My guess is you will have wear gloves for all the high-fives you will get.
    Yes you are always looking for a humane shot. Are you serious?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    People will say, "why did you shoot it 6 times?" and you will say, "because when I pulled the trigger a 7th time the gun just went 'click'"

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Huntinguy0120 For This Useful Post:


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •