Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    climb a tree and wait.... then shoot with my pistol.

could fling an arrow at 70yds or whatever, then climb tree, then shoot with pistol.

Thanks
    I wouldn't even mess with the bow if a wolf was charging.......Wait till he got within 20 yards and pop'em a few times with the handgun. That's close enough for a predator charging from a 100 yards
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 06-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    I just have to say, this scenario seems kind of outlandish. I live in some of the most wolf-infested country in Montana, and I have only seen the buggers a couple of times. They are pretty timid usually. I did have a run-in with a large lone wolf when my partners and I stumbled upon a dead bull. I don't know if it was a wolf kill or not, but a wolf had definitely been feeding on the carcass. While we were there, the wolf came in on us, but hung up at about 50 yards, barking and growling. He didn't want to really show himself either. We did get a few looks at him. He was big black one. We were armed and ready for anything, but it wasn't really a harrowing experience.

Now a whole pack closing in would be different, but I don't think that is all that common either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Depends on how proficient you are with the pistol. If I was good (and I am!), then SSS! (for those of you who don't know...shoot, shovel, shutup)
    I agree completely!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Yes you are always looking for a humane shot. Are you serious?
    Something charging me like a wolf or bear, I aint looking for a broadside humane shot either. I'm pretty lousy with a pistol anyway, but at least they'd find my body with an empty magazine.

Thanks
    I like the responses but the reason I asked this question is because a bowhunter was faced with this very decision. A big old male wolf charging her at a trot, jumped up on a log within 20 yards. She did pop him with the pistol as it was self defense but she was faced with, when do I take the shot and what weapon so I wanted to see what other people would say. I would only take the long shot with a bow if I knew for a fact he was coming. But if not I would wait for him to make a move before I would do anything to kill him. I believe she didn't have a wolf tag either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    The guy was talking about a wolf "trotting at him," so, yeah I am serious. My response was based on a practical calculus, not moral. Not trying to ruffle feathers, but have you even seen a wolf? The situation implies defensive rationale. Enough said. Give me a break dude.

Thanks
    Gotta kinda agree with ya id. Wolf, bear, human, lion. If its comin at me with intent to kill gloves are off. Morals lost. Im shootin prior to a broadside and finding cover asap. Id probably run so fast i would leave my bow behind and start shooting rifles again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ID_MW View Post
    The guy was talking about a wolf "trotting at him," so, yeah I am serious. My response was based on a practical calculus, not moral. Not trying to ruffle feathers, but have you even seen a wolf? The situation implies defensive rationale. Enough said. Give me a break dude.
    Not giving you a hard time and understand where your coming from and am not giving you a hard time. That is the last thing I want to do to any of you guys since I joined here to learn from you guys! I have had no experience with wolves and hope I don't! I just heard about this story and wanted to see what the more experienced sportsmen would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    I can't run and wouldn't run from a dangerous wild amimal anyway. My pistol shooting is better than my bow shooting. I would be happy if wolves went extinct. I know something about them, my grandson had one for a pet. I never worried for his safety but that wolf was sure a problem.
    Bottom line, I would follow Colorado Cowboys advice. I have seen them in the wild, didn't get a shot then but I shoot farther now.