Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Here are a few tick facts for you from a New Englander born and raised. You might be finding a lot of ticks, but it's only the small deer ticks that carry Lyme's and the other tick-borne diseases. The best prevention is to check yourself well after you've been in the woods. If you find a tick on you, you should be fine if it's within the first 36 hours. Just make yourself aware of what the symptoms are so you can be on the lookout for the next few days or even a few weeks. Most people I know who hang out in the woods have had it as has my wife. I've somehow avoided it.
    I was fortunate to draw moose tag in maine when I was eleven and this would be my first big gam kill a 725 lb. bull 50.5 inch spread. i have ben trying to draw since with no luck. between my brother. Dad and I we have over 60 years combined attempts and only that one tag. new Hampshire is great place to be in the fall.
    happy hunting carl

Good luck!

Thanks
    Talked to Zim today on the phone and he will be headed back home the next day or two as we are scheduled to meet up in Iowa for a whitetail hunt next Saturday. He had one hell of a hunt, I will let him chime in and post the pictures..........

Thanks
    Attached are photos of my New Hampshire bull moose taken October 27th near town of Berlin.

Bull has 20 points, weighed 780#, with a rack width of 53 1/4". This moose will score in the top 5% size wise in the state of New Hampshire for 2012. Only one bull wider than 53 1/4" was taken in my unit C2 all of last year. I spent 8 days of scouting, and 7 days hunting. The first 6 days hunting produced very few sightings. I had only passed on one small bull up to that time. We decided to shift gears and abandon my scouted land. Instead went around looking for new timber cuts. Came across a timber cutter Harold. Super nice guy who gave us a few specific suggestions where he had seen moose. He claimed I would have my bull within the next 3 days. It only took me 1.

On Saturday I got up early and made the 45 minute drive there from camp. Was extremely foggy. Could only see 40 yards at sunrise. Finally cleared enough to creep down the ridge glassing as I went. From this ridge I could glass 200 yards on either side on the basin. Very beautiful terrain. Heard some clicking of antlers, hunkered down and spotted a small bull. Given there was only one day left to hunt, I was planning on taking anything. Put my rifle crosshairs on the tiny bull and clicked the safety. Started squeezing the trigger when I heard additional tickling of antlers by another bull just to the right of the first one. I could not see him though. Eased up and decided to gamble. Let the small bull walk, hoping I was doing the right thing. After 15 minutes I decided to try a stalk to get a look at the other bull. Stood and snuck up for a better look. I saw a black figure in the fog, 60 yards away, in an opening between the small fir trees. Then he turned, displaying his rack. Yikes. Seemed like a mirage after 15 days of no big bull sightings. Settled in shooting stacks slowly as bull watched me. Made a poor but very effective shot, hitting him in the neck, breaking spine and dropping him in his tracks. After an epic fail getting him out, I called Harold and he brought his skidder to retrieve the bull. We got 2 hours sleep and took him to check station in West Milan. From there we drove down to my hunting partner's home in Shapleigh, Maine, where I am now. We spent all today prepping meat for my return drive to St. Charles tomorrow. Hope hurricane remnants subside for my drive.

I was extremely lucky to take a moose of this caliber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4641.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	4495

Name:	DSCN1609.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	4493

Name:	DSCN1621.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	4494
    Last edited by Zim; 12-18-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks

Name:	DSCN1612.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4496

Name:	DSCN1649.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	4497

Name:	DSCN1655.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	4498

Thanks
    Congrats zim!

Thanks
    Good job Zim on a great bull.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Ticks are so bad here in the Bitterroot the government has an infectious disease study lab here (Rocky Mountain Lab) that started out researching tick fevers.

I have had pretty good success with soaking clothes in permethrin. this year I also tried Rhynoskin long underwear, which worked great, other than it wasn't too comfortable. It was pretty much pantyhose material.
    So what your sayin BB is you wear panty hose while hunting?...... Ummm :-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Wow Zim what a awesome bull!!!! Congrats! Da Bears!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    So what your sayin BB is you wear panty hose while hunting?...... Ummm :-)
    Haha, whatever keeps those ticks out huh?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    congrats! thats a great bull zim and great country to hunt. I used to date a girl in milin and a good ski buddy lives shapleigh Maine. I grew up in lovell Me.