Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eastmans' Get "Hunting Fit" Challenge

Nothing like a cold winter to trigger that appetite to pack on some extra "insulation". I know that after working my tail off last summer and going from 245 down to 210, I'm now back to 232. Well, it's time to get going! We're starting our diets/workouts and want to take this opportunity to invite you to be a part of it. So here's the deal: 1) Post your current weight; 2) Post your goal weight; 3) Post any other fitness goals you have; 4) Post some of your strategies of how you are going to get there. Make sure and use the same scale and weigh yourself with the same approximate clothing. We'll be putting together some prize packages on September 1 for those who have accomplished the most. This is all on the honor system, so no cheating!
    Ryan Hatfield
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting & Bowhunting Journals

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    1. Current weight – 232
    2. Goal weight – 210 (I’ll be lifting weights, too, so in order to lose those 22 net lbs., I’ll have to lose about 30 lbs. of “table muscle”.
    3. Other goal – improve my overall endurance on the StairMaster over what I did last year.
    4. Strategies – 1300-1500 calories a day, hit the gym 5 days a week (For cardio, I’ll mostly hit the StairMaster because it is awesome for increasing the muscular and hiking endurance for my legs, but I’ll also mix in some running/power walking). Also going to get back into weightlifting a bit.
    Ryan Hatfield
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting & Bowhunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1) Current weight - 232
    2) Goal Weight - 195
    3) Other Goals - Be able to complete an entire 5k running with no shin splints is one of the big ones. Make the guys I'm hunting with in Montana this fall wonder if I'm part mountain goat.
    4) Strategy - Crossfit 4-6 days a week while throwing in 1-2 runs or hikes a week. I'll also be shooting my bow quite a bit during practice and tournaments as well. I'm already in the best shape of my life, but it could be better. My diet will consist of 2000-2500 calories a day of mostly fat and protein with Saturday being a refeed day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1. Do I reallllly have to put my current weight? Current weight-170 ( I just had a baby...give me a break!)
    2. Goal weight- 135
    3. Other goals- to be able to keep up with my husband while hunting and shed hunting
    4. Strategy- Shooting my bow all the time, shed hunting a lot, zumba on the wii and jogging in the evenings

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1) 229
    2) 200
    3) Be able to complete 120 stories (up and down 8 at a time) with a 40 lb pack in under 2 hrs.
    4) I have an 8 story parking garage at a hospital nearby where I train in their stairwell. I dont' diet much, just try to keep portions reasonable and not drink as many beerios. Hit the stairwell 2 days a week with a pack on, Run hills 2 days a week. When running flat land do interval running - sprint 2 min, walk one, 8 reps, really boosts your cardio.

NJ-PA-NY-FL-WY depending on time of year.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    1. Current weight- 237#
    2. Goal weight-210
    3. Other goals-Keep the cardiologists happy,i.e. low cholesterol, good stress tests, etc.
    Be able to climb where I want at MY pace.
    4. Strategy- Low fat, low chloresterol,lowsalt,low sugar eating regimen. Exercise 1 hour
    per day 7 days a week when possible- walking, riding stationary bike, stair climber and treadmill.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1. Current weight: 200
    2. Goal weight: 180
    3. Other goals: Beat out my dad in weight loss so he can pay for the hunting trips this year :-)
    4. Strategy- Hit the gym 4-5 times a week. Be able to run 10-15 miles per week. Try and control my eating. Kinda hard cause my wife is pregnant with our first child, so when she eats, I tend to eat also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1) 210
    2) 185
    3) Increase over all fitness, fit into 34" pants again (currently a tight 36"), run a marathon in the fall of 2011
    4) Run, run, run, and run some more. Learn more about nutrition apply it my daily living.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MrKrabs - I noticed you posted you were having a problem with shin splints, I too used to have the same problem. There is a solution, there are specific exercises that will help...many can be done while sitting at desk (ie place feet flat on the floor, lift your toes of the floor (keeping your heal planted) as many times as you can for one minute, do this at least twice a day). The biggest difference is to change your running style. Research "pose" running on the internet, in the beginning it is a killer on your calves, but you won't have any pain in your ankles, shins, or knees. Switching styles was a complete game changer for me. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Current weight 240
    Goal 210
    Going with the P90X program right now along with running some hills to try to get ready for my elk hunt this year in Colorado.