Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have never fired a shot at a loper, but if I ever get a tag I will use the 168 Berger in 7mm. This combo helps increase the odds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree . I like having a flat shooting hard hitting caliber/bullet incase of a long shot. Yours would certainly do it !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a Sako (Tikka) .25-06 that I absolutely love for deer. I haven't tried it on antelope yet, but will do so this fall. It's a great rifle with almost no kick. I killed a whitetail last year at 315 yds using 120-grain custom loads moving at 3,000+ fps, and while it didn't pancake him, he only stayed on his feet for about 5-6 seconds before tipping over.

My dad had some serious health issues derail his hunting activities a couple years back, and he has been discharging his hunting rifles to those of us that hunt in the family. He gave me the same Tikka model in .300 WM and that will become my elk rifle. I have a feeling that the three of us will become good friends over the next few years!

I'd trade all of this to have my dad's health back though. I was looking forward to hunting with him more when he retired, but I'm happy that he's still with us and can still go out from time to time in a more limited capacity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MW,
    Sorry to hear about your Dad's health.
    I never got to hunt any big game with my dad. He would only hunt birds,rabbits and squirrels.
    I kinda got interested in it with my best friend and got hooked in a bad way ! My friend hardly ever hunts anymore.
    I think the 25.06 has to be one of the perfect loper guns ever. I watched my friend drop a loper over 600 yds with a lucky shot once.
    Was shooting as flat as my 7 mm Rem mag. . That was in 1992. He has never been back to Wy. since. I tried to get him to go on a 20 yr. reunion hunt. He liked the idea but has since backed out.
    Anyway, hope you get to hunt antelope with yout 25.06 and you dad does better.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    agreed love the 25's, kill anything you want, hard to find ammo though unless your in a bigger city with a good sporting goods, or reload yourself. Have been playing with the 300wsm with that superformance powder, holy smokes 165 gr at 3612FPS think im gonna back her off abit though, hate to blow the barrel out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by justinthedoc View Post
    agreed love the 25's, kill anything you want, hard to find ammo though unless your in a bigger city with a good sporting goods, or reload yourself. Have been playing with the 300wsm with that superformance powder, holy smokes 165 gr at 3612FPS think im gonna back her off abit though, hate to blow the barrel out.
    That's wicked fast ! I can only get 3630 fps. with a 150 gr, and 103.0 grs. Retumbo out of my 300 RUM ! Bad thing is that if you aren't shooting a Barnes or a bonded bullet they blow up like grenades when they meet the meat. I've stuck with 180 gr. Barnes TSX for 6 yrs. and last couple yrs. TTSX. They're moving at 3360 fps. W/100 gr. Retumbo. Wonder what superperformance would do out of my 300 RUM...???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Damn....you guys and your 30 cal mags flying out at 3300 to 3600 fps. Antelope guns....come on guys give me a break! Might as well use a .50 Barrett sniper gun!. Give them por little 100# critters a sporting chance. My .25 kill them just as dead....with a lot less powder.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Damn....you guys and your 30 cal mags flying out at 3300 to 3600 fps. Antelope guns....come on guys give me a break! Might as well use a .50 Barrett sniper gun!. Give them por little 100# critters a sporting chance. My .25 kill them just as dead....with a lot less powder.
    It's a pain to take a couple different rifles with you when you hunt out of state though. A couple years ago I took my son to Wy.. He wanted to use his TC Hunter with 28 in barrel in .243 for deer and antelope. I had a great load for it built up with an 85 gr. Barnes TXS at 3400+ fps. Figured it be fine for antelope. I took my 7mm Rem mag for him just in case. He shot both his deer and loper with the 7 mag . didn't have time to dig out the .243 both times. I agree it's over kill but I like carrying/hunting with one rifle most of the time (for big game). I shot one loper with a .243. all others w/7 mag or 300 RUM. 2010 at 444 yds. and last yr. at 336 yds.. I also like being able to hold dead on with my 300 RUM

Thanks
    Congratulations
    overkill!..lol..nah..I could shoot turkeys with 2 3/4" #6's,but Id rather use 3.5" num 4s...I got my 300 win mag just for the west..it was more than enough gun back home on deer,and perfect for hogs.

I used the 130gr barnes TTSX in my 300 and shot some hogs and deer..didnt mess up the meat too bad at all..but I went back to ga arms 165 nosler ballistic tip,just because it pops harder,and makes bigger holes..the ttsx never failed tho,and nothing ever stopped the bullet..shot a deer in the chest and it blew all the way out the ham..and shot 2 hogs both thru the head with one shot,and the bullet kept going..It just seemed that if it didnt hit bone it would blow thru so freakin fast it didnt make a big hole...and it was kinda odd the way it would blow insides out the entrance hole!yeah entrance hole..it went thru them so fast thats exactly what would happen..sometimes that would plug up the hole and make bloodtrailing more difficult.

I was told that it goes thru so fast that it creates a shockwave inside which bounces off the opposite side(inside)and then it ripples back toward the entrance..and thats why that would happen..
    Last edited by PLP; 07-27-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey guys, just wanted to jab at you a little. Seriously, I really don't care what caliber someone shoots at big game, it's their choice. Just so they know their gun and can shoot it well is what really counts. Shot placement is more important that how big (or small for that matter) the bullet is. Shoot well guys............
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley