Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you worry about where to set up?

I've been going to the same area for a few years now and have always set up camp in a spot where no elk will be disturbed. I'm not in love with this camping spot at all. It's cramped and has no feed for horses. There is a sweet spot up a ways but it puts us in sight of elk while they travel to and from bedding/feeding areas. Not on the trail but around 200 yards from it. Also there is a wallow not too far. I gues I'm asking if us being there will mess them all up? Are you very concerned with where you camp vs where the elk are???
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey chad I agree with camping where the elk are not disturbed - 200 yds is close campfire smoke and human activity will probably move them a bit. Although I have camped not knowing that the elk were close and heard them within a couple hundred yards of camp during the rut. So if you're in an area with a lot of elk, they'll still hang around. More important if you're bowhunting and have them patterned for a waterhole or feeding movement, then they might change habits. Sounds like you have horses for hunting, so getting to the area shouldn't be too hard to do if you're riding. I like comfort, space and being able to get to other areas for my choice of spots.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think that's way too close. Why not find a better camping area going away from the hunting area instead of closer to it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Old Hunter. I'd try to get farther away, not closer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I do believe the size of the camp and the type of camp has a bearing in all this. A little small one man camp can get away with more than a dozen rowdy buds.

Camp smoke is an interesting one. I use a very small woodstove in my teepee and have never had an issue, but i don't make a big campfire.