Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake boots? gaiters? chaps?

To wear or not to wear in snake country?

also can't you get bit in the foot if only wearing gaiters/chaps?

a snake pistol would be a nice addition, but I think I might almost feel "invincible" if I were wearing snake boots, like go ahead, bite my boot...

is a rattler gonna bite above the snake boot/knee ever?

Thanks
    I have never worn them, but have almost stepped on a timber rattle snake. I try to keep my eyes on the trail but thats hard to do sometimes when your always scanning for game. During snake season it's usauly hot and gaiters/chaps will make it worse IMO.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    I hear ya on the heat, which I think boots may be a better option, gonna be wearing boots either way...

also will be hunting some thick grassy areas come September... thinking I need some snake boots.

Thanks
    Muleys,
    I'll try to remember to send you a pic of a rattler I've had since 1995 that I caught as a newborn.
    Have lots of reptiles . A 17 ft. 250 lb burmese python and a 6 ft Water monitor I've had for over 18 yrs. are a couple.
    The rattler is the calmest one I have. Loves to be held. I think a rattler would have a very hard time getting through a normal leather boot. If it did, It would have to penatrate your skin some to get into your blood system. Also, it would have to feel threatened enough to bite hard enough to inject and not be a dry bite. I've come in contact with many rattlers while hunting. most rattled when I was near them. I stepped on the tail end of a southern pacific once but he was going under some rocks and couldn't turn to strike. I emptied a 10 round magazine from my Ruger 10/22 and pulled him out. about 3 1/2 ft. .would been bad news bite. 0ne fang from a 1 1/2 ft. western with a hard bite got be 9 viles 6 times of anti venom. lucky not both fangs... Lucky I had anti Obama insurance or the bill would have been $72,000 ! ER , one nite in ICU and 54 viles of anti venom. $150.00 a vile! need to milk mine! Anyway, just FYI.Timber rattler, where ?

Thanks
    I have a buddy that use to have almost every kind of rattle snake there is.He would even go to AZ to hunt/ catch them at night. I think he had a screw loose, because he would always take them things out and hold them..................untill he got bit by the biggest one he had (6 footer) He had to get air lifted the loma linda hospital. His bill was over $100,000! I use to have pythons and boa's as well. I really liked the monitors, I had 2 nile and 1 savahna. Also had poison dart frogs (not for hunting) LOL.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    Muleys,
    I'll try to remember to send you a pic of a rattler I've had since 1995 that I caught as a newborn.
    Have lots of reptiles . A 17 ft. 250 lb burmese python and a 6 ft Water monitor I've had for over 18 yrs. are a couple.
    The rattler is the calmest one I have. Loves to be held. I think a rattler would have a very hard time getting through a normal leather boot. If it did, It would have to penatrate your skin some to get into your blood system. Also, it would have to feel threatened enough to bite hard enough to inject and not be a dry bite. I've come in contact with many rattlers while hunting. most rattled when I was near them. I stepped on the tail end of a southern pacific once but he was going under some rocks and couldn't turn to strike. I emptied a 10 round magazine from my Ruger 10/22 and pulled him out. about 3 1/2 ft. .would been bad news bite. 0ne fang from a 1 1/2 ft. western with a hard bite got be 9 viles 6 times of anti venom. lucky not both fangs... Lucky I had anti Obama insurance or the bill would have been $72,000 ! ER , one nite in ICU and 54 viles of anti venom. $150.00 a vile! need to milk mine! Anyway, just FYI.Timber rattler, where ?
    I would like to see a pic of it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    talk about morons obamacare shouldn't be covering...

it should be illegal to own a poisonous snake.

Thanks
    Speaking of Rattlesnakes......Here's one I ran into yesterday while scouting! I didn't want to get to close, these pics were taken from about 4 feet. This snake was about 3 to 3 1/2 feet long.

-NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Timber rattler? Here is one I found in Ely NV:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342238699.644541.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	3747

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    Way of life for use down south.. Chaps and leggings get way to hot.

Danner sharptials gtx is about the lightest and most comfortable snake boat... They stopped making them last year... Forever last makes a very similar pair.

Here is a good sight for options. http://www.snakeboots.com/