Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ouch! I bet that's a hunt you will not forget....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks NID.
    I will remember that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did you hit him in the mouth with a crutch ?
    He looks just like the buck I shot above Convict Lake in X9A 2006.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That zone, X12 has been on my pick list for a few years now. 18+ years before the point system I used to get drawn every year. No draw though for more for more than a few seasons. I've hunted the wilderness country out of Little Antelope Pack Station. I've heard the hunting is pretty good in the hills behind Ken's Sporting Goods towards Nevada or the Bodie Hills as well out of Bridgeport and it has good access too. I kind of like hunting higher in the Alpine country though more than the lower hills just as preference though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Id hunt the western edge of the Bodie Hills. Theres many draws to pick over, and crowding should not be a problem if you get away from the roads. I wish I had just one pic of my buck, its pretty funny, I hit him right between the eyes! Makes for an ugly pic anyways. We didnt see many deer in the first few days where we scouted them, so we concentrated on the "wet" draws, and did some pushes in the evening. Turned out to be the secret, we killed 4 bucks for 6 guys. My brother missed a nice 3x4 at 350 yards, but connected on his buddy at 400 with his 300 winmag. Nice shootin'. Good luck in x12, dont forget the spotting scop[e for the evening, it saved some leather.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Keven and Boss,
    You guys are getting me excited to go already. I'm going to try to hunt the first few days and if have to hunt the last few.
    Keven, I haven't talked to you for over a year either ! From what I've heard and now read, Bodie Hills seems to be a popular spot.
    I like must don't like crowds but after opening weekend it seems to thin out.
    Just thought of another question. Any recommondations on where to camp or stay ? I read about a lot of campgrounds in the area.
    Might even find a cheaper hotel in Bridgeport or Lee Vining.
    Thanks eveyone .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    Thanks Keven and Boss,
    You guys are getting me excited to go already. I'm going to try to hunt the first few days and if have to hunt the last few.
    Keven, I haven't talked to you for over a year either ! From what I've heard and now read, Bodie Hills seems to be a popular spot.
    I like must don't like crowds but after opening weekend it seems to thin out.
    Just thought of another question. Any recommondations on where to camp or stay ? I read about a lot of campgrounds in the area.
    Might even find a cheaper hotel in Bridgeport or Lee Vining.
    Thanks eveyone .

Many of the official campgrounds that you find on a map will be full if you drive over the evening before opening day. There's a lesser known spot just east of Sonora Pass on 108. On the turn off for the dirt road that goes above the Marine base. But it's a ways away from Bodie, if that's where you're gonna hunt.

My advice would be to rely less on luck and control your own fate by hiking AWAY from the roads. Especially early in the year when the weather doesn't have the deer moving. If you can hike in and camp a few miles away from a road, even better.

Good luck out there, and be sure to post some pictures of your success!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    Did you hit him in the mouth with a crutch ?
    He looks just like the buck I shot above Convict Lake in X9A 2006.
    Ha ha, no. The 7mm mag did the trick! He was quartering away at about 70 yards and I him in the lungs. After seeing nothuing but fawns and does all opening day, his antlers looked 10 feet tall. He's no trophy, but I was elated for sure. An injury that limits what you can do, can really damper your expectations.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    Many of the official campgrounds that you find on a map will be full if you drive over the evening before opening day. There's a lesser known spot just east of Sonora Pass on 108. On the turn off for the dirt road that goes above the Marine base. But it's a ways away from Bodie, if that's where you're gonna hunt.

My advice would be to rely less on luck and control your own fate by hiking AWAY from the roads. Especially early in the year when the weather doesn't have the deer moving. If you can hike in and camp a few miles away from a road, even better.

Good luck out there, and be sure to post some pictures of your success!
    Thanks NID ! I have some good info to go one from all these post. Funny how close X9A,X9B and X10 are that I've hunted but nervous about X12 that I haven't. My son and a friend that is old and can't do the hiking drew with me. It's the older guy I'm worrying about. I don't want it to cramp my hunting style but I have to keep an eye on him if you know what I mean...My son is 20 yrs old so no worries there. I now have a lot of map reading to do !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    Ha ha, no. The 7mm mag did the trick! He was quartering away at about 70 yards and I him in the lungs. After seeing nothuing but fawns and does all opening day, his antlers looked 10 feet tall. He's no trophy, but I was elated for sure. An injury that limits what you can do, can really damper your expectations.
    I just thought maybe he wasn't dead when you hobbled up to him and gave him a crutch to the head a few times.