Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    Thanks Keven and Boss,
    You guys are getting me excited to go already. I'm going to try to hunt the first few days and if have to hunt the last few.
    Keven, I haven't talked to you for over a year either ! From what I've heard and now read, Bodie Hills seems to be a popular spot.
    I like must don't like crowds but after opening weekend it seems to thin out.
    Just thought of another question. Any recommondations on where to camp or stay ? I read about a lot of campgrounds in the area.
    Might even find a cheaper hotel in Bridgeport or Lee Vining.
    Thanks eveyone .
    I've heard the Bodie hills is a good spot. A friend of mine said they went with a guide/outfitter that took them out in the Bodie hills to get their bucks. It is a good spot from what I've heard. One of my friends has some good deer hunting memories out by the high altitude Marine base that Never in Doubt mentions too. He was stationed out there for several years.

Awesome getting a tag in X12 HuntWYODon. I hope you will be able to get out an scout some before the season opens and you have a fun and successful hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 3 Posts
    [QUOTE=HuntWYODon;31601]Thanks Keven and Boss,
    You guys are getting me excited to go already. I'm going to try to hunt the first few days and if have to hunt the last few.
    Keven, I haven't talked to you for over a year either ! From what I've heard and now read, Bodie Hills seems to be a popular spot.
    Just thought of another question. Any recommondations on where to camp or stay ? I read about a lot of campgrounds in the area.

If you travel north, thru the town of Bodie, theres a nice primitive campsite about 5 miles in. We camped there with tents for a week, 6 guys. Bring plenty of water, and an easy up, as shade is sparse. No campfires unless forest service raises the threat. Just like any other hunt for big game, pray for weather! Hunted with a fella many years ago, who would bail out at the signs of "bad" weather, therefore, we dont hunt with him anymore. Used to drive dad crazy! Anyhow yes, theres campgrounds and hotels available, but primitive sites are also plentiful.]

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    I've heard the Bodie hills is a good spot. A friend of mine said they went with a guide/outfitter that took them out in the Bodie hills to get their bucks. It is a good spot from what I've heard. One of my friends has some good deer hunting memories out by the high altitude Marine base that Never in Doubt mentions too. He was stationed out there for several years.

Awesome getting a tag in X12 HuntWYODon. I hope you will be able to get out an scout some before the season opens and you have a fun and successful hunt.
    Kevin,
    I won't be able to scout prior to the season. Can't afford it. It's about 350 miles just to Bishop for me. I'm taking off two days before the season. Probably one day to find a place to camp and maybe scout and next day to scout. i'll go back the last few days if I don't kill something on first trip. Probably the best tag I've ever drawn in Ca.. Had X9A tag in 2006 but never found a decent buck. Shot a forkie last day of season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=BossBrott;31624]
    Thanks Keven and Boss,

If you travel north, thru the town of Bodie, theres a nice primitive campsite about 5 miles in. We camped there with tents for a week, 6 guys. Bring plenty of water, and an easy up, as shade is sparse. No campfires unless forest service raises the threat. Just like any other hunt for big game, pray for weather! Hunted with a fella many years ago, who would bail out at the signs of "bad" weather, therefore, we dont hunt with him anymore. Used to drive dad crazy! Anyhow yes, theres campgrounds and hotels available, but primitive sites are also plentiful.]
    Thanks BossBrott,
    I'd prefere to camp at a primitive spot anyways. I'll trailer my Razor with me to get around. I'm assuming X12 is like x9B and X9A with no OHV restrictions unlike So. Cal. mtns. ... I'm figuring the first day will be devoted to finding a place to pitch it !
    Thanks for the info all of you guys !
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-08-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey DRhorsepower, Colorado Cowboy and Kevin Root,
    Have to tell you something funny. I googled X12. Up pops Eastmans Forum. I was reading it and looking at the dates. something 2011.I'm reading your posts and scrolling down all the sudden I see My first post from Dec. 2011 ! I kept reading it. Re read all of Colorado Cowboy's stories from the pioneer day's in Ca. LOL ! Awesome stories ! You guys should check it out. Funny, the it jumped to June 2012 when I posted "has anybody hunted X12 lately". Just thought I'd share.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 07-20-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Hey DRhorsepower, Colorado Cowboy and Kevin Root,
    Have to tell you something funny. I googled X12. Up pops Eastmans Forum. I was reading it and looking at the dates. something 2011.I'm reading your posts and scrolling down all the sudden I see My first post from Dec. 2011 ! I kept reading it. Re read all of Colorado Cowboy's stories from the pioneer day's in Ca. LOL ! Awesome stories ! You guyd should check it out. Funny, the it jumped to June 2012 when I posted "has anybody hunted X12 lately". Just thought I'd share.
    That is cool! Thanks for sharing. I have googled hunting areas and first thing that pops up is eastmans forum as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I Had just gave my manager my vacation dates for the first few days of X12 and last few plus Wy. 125 tag dates in Nov.
    about half hour later a lady from Ca. F&G calls and wants to know I want the antelope tag that I was the first alternate for...
    I said I don't believe this. Told her I had got drawn for X12 and a good tag in Wy. and now this. Told her it was the first time in 30 yrs. I haven't hunted in Ut. and thank God I didn't apply for a tag. She was laughing the whole time and I said funny for you ! Told her it wasn't a matter of vacation time, it's a matter of affording all the trips. She said I didn't to give her an answer until Mon. and you don't loose you points. Yeah, you just won't ever draw again ! I told her if it was a tule elk tag I would't hesitate. Cr@p ! It's all or nothing. Told my mangager and he said don't worry about back filling for me to take the time if i wanted. I told him also it's the ching ching not the time. Man, that's like driving all the way to Wy. to the north part of state. Did pts. for loper for 4 yrs. in a row then applied this yr. and whamo ! At least I'll keep my max pts. if I don't accept.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Never just rains....but then it pours. Added a few of my own words to that. I've spent so damn much $$$ going back to California on family matters this year I could go on a really sweet guided elk hunt. Been thinking about going on one anyway.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Never just rains....but then it pours. Added a few of my own words to that. I've spent so damn much $$$ going back to California on family matters this year I could go on a really sweet guided elk hunt. Been thinking about going on one anyway.
    Come out here and go on a loper hunt with me !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Come out here and go on a loper hunt with me !
    When is it?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley